Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > De-Fruiting a beer...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default De-Fruiting a beer...?

I made Blind Lemon Lar's "Squeeze my Lemon" Blond Ale about 4 weeks ago for my upcoming block party (this weekend).
Rather than just use slices of lemon rind/zest as indicated, I microplaned the 2oz worth.

Whoooohooooo is it lemony, think of a beer with a lemonhead candy dropped in...

My wife really likes it so I'm sure the rest of the ladies on the block will enjoy it too. But me, not so much. If you've had Bud Light Lime this has more lemon flavor than Bud Light Lime has lime flavor probably on the order of 2x.

So how can I "de-fruit" this? It's already carbed and it has been fined with gelatin. I have a keg of Apfelwein, and a keg of BierMuncher's Sterling Gold ready to go as well, so I'm that concerened and I'm sure others on the block will most likely enjoy it...

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Short of diluting it with another batch, I can't think of any way to reduce lemon.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Short of diluting it with another batch, I can't think of any way to reduce lemon.
+1. Like in cooking, it's easy to put more in, not so easy to take it out. Dilution would appear to be the only way. Make another batch sans the lemon, put half of the old and half of the new into a carboy together, then mix the remaining halves in one of the original carboys.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That was my fear.
It's goodenough for the ladies that have sampled it and way too late to brew up a second (T-5 days until serving day). If it doesn't go over too well and only half gets consumed, then I'll transfer it to secondary to blend with another batch later.

Thanks.

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 07-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I can think of two things that might help, not sure how much though.

Serve the beer on the flat-ish side. Higher carbonation levels will add to the bite. I find that the flatter a beer is, the maltier it will taste.

Some sugar might help to cover it up. Pull a pint and try adding some sugar and see if that helps. If that helps, then no sooner than a day before, open the keg and add the sugar. Maybe dissolve the sugar first to avoid a foam gush. You could also just add a little simple syrup to the glasses when pouring

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How about a shot of "Elixr G" (ginger flavor). They add it to beer at PF Changs, I bet you forget about the lemon once you throw a shot of this in there. Only drawback is it's $15/750ml.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Quick Reply