Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > De-alcoholizing beer (Belgian Wit)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #111
drathbone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anyway how did the OP's beer turn out? I checked in on a debate about distillation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #112
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Ok...lets stop the debate on this. No one is going to freeze the beer since it will concentrate the alcohol and flavors which is the opposite of the goal of this thread. There is also no need to collect the alcohol, so it isn't distilling.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 AM   #113
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

FWIW, HBT's stance is to allow discussions concerning freeze concentration, based upon James Spencer's findings.

I agree. Enough debate on legality/morality. Wait, did I say that before?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #114
lordbeermestrength
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's okay. I yield anyway. ODaniel is right, apparently there is a legal distinction between concentrate and distilled liquor:

Quote:
Subpart R—Beer Concentrate
§ 25.261 General.
(a) Authorized processes. A brewer may, in accordance with this subpart—
(1) Produce concentrate from beer,
(2) Reconstitute beer from concentrate,
(3) Transfer concentrate from one brewery to another brewery of the same ownership, and
(4) Remove concentrate without payment of tax for exportation, or for transfer to and deposit in a foreign-trade zone for exportation or for storage pending exportation in accordance with Part 28 of this chapter.
(b) Brewery treatment of concentrate. Beer reconstituted from concentrate in accordance with this subpart shall (except with respect to the additional labeling of reconstituted beer under §25.263) be treated the same as beer which has not been concentrated and reconstituted.
(Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85–859, 72 Stat. 1388, as amended (26 U.S.C. 5401))
[T.D. ATF–224, 51 FR 7673, Mar. 5, 1986, as amended by T.D. TTB–8, 69 FR 3830, Jan. 27, 2004]
What does this have to do with the OP question? Not much, other than it allows (legally) for removing alcohol via the method audger provided:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
what if you froze maybe 2 gallons, and only retained the solids. i dont know if most of the flavor would remain in the liquid alcohol mix (seems plausable), but you could then do your 180* distillation on that concentrate (in a large shallow pan so it is able to evaporate), which should make distilling alcohol off even easier as its a more concentrated soloution, and then recombine the two.

i would think that would atleast get you a lower ABV then your orig method of just heating the beer. but putting a beer in the freezer is actually illegal in CT, as its "distilling", so do so at your own risk.
Seems to me this is the best way to remove a majority of alcohol while (hopefully) retaining most of the flavor. You could still add a hop-tea to this and get your hops aroma bumped up as well.

And..... NOW we are back on topic.

Beer, happy Produce of our Isle/Can sinewy Strength impart,
And wearied with Fatigue and Toil/Can cheer each manly Heart.
Labour and Art upheld by Thee/Successfully advance,
We quaff Thy balmy Juice with Glee/And Water leave to France.
Genius of Health, thy grateful Taste/Rivals the Cup of Jove,
And warms each English generous Breast/With Liberty and Love!
(Rev James Townley, 1751)

Quick Reply