Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > De-alcoholizing beer (Belgian Wit)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Amity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default De-alcoholizing beer (Belgian Wit)

I brewed a Belgian Wit (http://hopville.com/recipe/633652/wi...pes/witbier-ii) a few weeks ago, and we kegged it yesterday. I put a gallon of it in a glass jug to make my pregnant wife some Non-Alcohol beer.

I heated it to 78C (165-170F) for about 20 minutes, until I couldn't smell much alcohol in the steam. I also steeped some coriander (did not have any bitter orange peel left) for about 10 minutes to replace any flavour lost by the heating. I added 1oz of corn sugar for the yeast to consume for carbonation.

I cooled the wort, took a gravity reading (increased from 1.014 to 1.022 after boiling of alcohol), then poured it into sanitized bottles. I poured in some T-58 yeast to carbonate.

I'll update in a few weeks when the results are carbonated and consumed!

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Sound like an interesting trial.

You didn't add any additional sugars, right? Just hoping there's enough fermentables in that 1.022 post-boil gravity for the new yeast to munch on to carbonate?

Can't wait to hear how this comes out!

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Presumably you believe alcohol in moderation is unhealthy during pregnancy. You should know that in every case I am aware of that someone has tried to remove alcohol at home and verified the result analytically, they were never very successful (maybe a 50% reduction).

The priming sugar will add about another half percent. So you probably have a 3% beer on your hands. If it is important to you that it be lower than that, have it tested analytically.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:50 AM   #4
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Nice, I'd like very much to see how this turns out. I've been wanting to make a brew for my dad who has been 32 years dry. It's sad to not share a brew with the old man.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
matt415
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

separating water and alcohol is not as straight forward as adding heat and only the alcohol is removed. if you are really concerned you may be better off buying odules.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
Amity
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice. This beer is a treat for my wife, not something to consume regularly. I'm well aware of the effects of alcohol on unborn fetuses.

The OG was 1.050, FG was 1.014, then after the treatment, it was 1.022. I did add 1oz of priming sugar to carbonate.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:31 AM   #7
Amity
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity
Thanks for the advice. This beer is a treat for my wife, not something to consume regularly. I'm well aware of the effects of alcohol on unborn fetuses.

The OG was 1.050, FG was 1.014, then after the treatment, it was 1.022. I did add 1oz of priming sugar to carbonate.
Also, now that I think about it, my post treatment gravity may be skewed because I used a refractometer for the reading...

Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

This is awsome, Homercidal and I are starting a subforum on here for experimenting with low/no alcohol brewing techniques. There's another guy on here running some experiments with vacuum pumps as well. Looking forward to hearing the results.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You don't know how much alcohol is left. There are probably higher alcohols that boil at a higher temperature than 78 F.

Zero alcohol during pregnancy = zero alcohol. Not worth the risk. You don't know what is in the remaining liquor.

alcohol is very flamable; boiling off the alcohol is extremely dangerous.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
You don't know how much alcohol is left. There are probably higher alcohols that boil at a higher temperature than 78 F.
And the other alcohols are usually in negligible amounts. Ethanol boiling point is 78*C so 20 minutes at that heat should take out the vast majority.

Quote:
Zero alcohol during pregnancy = zero alcohol. Not worth the risk. You don't know what is in the remaining liquor.
Many studies have brought to light that fact that small amounts of alcohol is not only okay but actually beneficial.... 1/4 - 1/2 glass of red wine a day or every other day is the standard so, equivalently, 1/4 - 1/2 a 12oz bottle of average strength beer is okay. So I'd think a pint of beer that has been heated to ethanol boiling point for 20 minutes is more than okay.

Quote:
alcohol is very flamable; boiling off the alcohol is extremely dangerous.
At a concentration of 4.8%? Dangerous maybe if you're in a tiny, non-ventilated room while smoking

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Quick Reply