Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
imlvngded
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide

Just picked up Dave Miller's Homebrew Guide. While reading through the first chapter I noticed that he actually says to rack to your fermenter from your brewpot and to start the siphon with your mouth. I thought this was a big no-no. But why would he say to do it if it is so bad? I don't plan on using this technique, but was surprised he would say to do it. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 21

That's an old book, I think. Even so, using a mouth to start a siphon might never contaminate, but it's not the safest method.

You're going to find tons of stuff like this: old (and not so old) books recommending things that are frowned upon by others.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Is there a newer edition of that book? I think I read it from the library and don't recall it saying that.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
brewgrl
Recipes 

I really like Dave Miller's guide...don't write it off b/c of his old-school siphoning!! There's lots of other really good info there.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2253 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

Who doesn't start a siphon with their mouth?? It gives you that sour, tangy taste that you love!

I haven't seen that book, but John Palmer's How to Brew 3rd Edition is excellent so far. I also have an older copy of Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing and that is also an excellent reference.

The best place to get the latest techniques, though, is right here on the forums. Maybe not quite as handy as a book you can flip through, but sometimes it pays to simply ask.

Homer's Brew Log

Quick Reply