The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast, blows it's wad in one day?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Pat_Sajak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast, blows it's wad in one day?

Hello All,

I have read here and there about no need for starters with dry yeast. But I've decided to do one anyway. The reason being is that my first stout from extract seemed to only ferment for a day. I pitched the yeast into a 80 deg F wort, and after about 24 hours got a decent amt of bubbling. However after this day the batch refused to bubble. I thought for sure something was stuck, so after four days or so I decided to just rack to secondary, there was a fair amount of yeast sediment for a 5 gallon batch, at least an inch, so the yeast did multiply I was just suprised that it only bubbled for a day.

Now since I noticed what I thought was a lack of available yeast, I've decided to make a yeast starter first. I melted 1 cup of pale DME in about 1/4 gallon of water, pitched the yeast at about 90 degF and put the stopper and fermentation lock in. After about 18-24 hours, it was bubbling away happily for about a day. Then same thing, after that it just stopped. Is this a trait of Nottingham ale yeast? Is this okay? I hear some folks here talking about the bubbling going on for days, like 2-5 days at a time. Can the yeast really convert that much alcohol in a day?

Also one more question, is Nottingham a top or bottom fermenting yeast?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Short of specific gravity readings, hard to tell. Any yeast will ferment until it either done or stuck. At 80-90F, most yeast will ferment rapidly & produce byproducts that don't taste all that great.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
dcbrewmeister
Recipes 

Wait a minute - you racked to the secondary and then pitched a starter? Why? The "secondary" fermenter is not really a fermenter per se. It just used to help clarify the beer and part of the aging process and really shouldn't be fermenting at all. If it is, you racked too soon.

It's very possible your fermentation was done after 24hrs of a good active fermentation. You mentioned nothing about a hydrometer reading so I'm going to assume you don't have one. This is the only true way to tell if your fermentation was done or stuck. There is no way visually to tell if a fermentation is done or stuck. A basic hydrometer can be had for like $10.

And as david_42 said - don't be surprised if your brew has off-flavors.

Nottingham "Ale" yeast...

Last edited by dcbrewmeister; 01-01-2007 at 11:53 PM.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I'm a recent convert to Nottingham and love the stuff. My experience is that it ferments rather quickly.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I really like Nottingham. It's a fairly quick, clean, and neutral yeast when used between 60-70 degrees. It's a top fermenting Ale yeast.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
Brewpilot
Recipes 

I love Nottingham.... at 66F I get about 5 days of bubbling

Old 01-02-2007, 02:03 AM   #7
MariaAZ

Recipes 

I used Danstar Nottingham yeast in the porter I've currently got in secondary. There was a really vigorous fermentation for a day and it slowed down significantly after that. When I racked to the secondary at about 10 days, the SG was 1.014. Initial SG was 1.064, so even though I didn't see a lot of activity in the airlock after that one day, fermentation most certainly happened

Old 01-02-2007, 03:28 AM   #8
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used Nottingham one time and it blew in one day. I thought the beer would turn out crappy. I let it go for a 10 days in the primary and then kegged. It turned out to be a fantastic pale ale. Here it is.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 AM   #9
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I've posted this before . . . but . . .

Nottingham=Best.Yeast.Ever.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:35 AM   #10
dcbrewmeister
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I used Nottingham one time and it blew in one day. I thought the beer would turn out crappy. I let it go for a 10 days in the primary and then kegged. It turned out to be a fantastic pale ale. Here it is.

It looks cloudy to me - I'll drive up tomorrow to pick up the rest for "clarification" and I'll return what's left 2 you in a day or 2... or 3

Quick Reply