Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > culturing yeast from Westmalle Dubbel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default culturing yeast from Westmalle Dubbel

Is it worth a shot to culture this yeast from the bottle ?? Or should I just buy a 3787 and use that ?? I haven't done this before. How long will it take to get a big enough starter for a batch of beer ??

I am planning on washing the yeast afterwards. I have done this with a couple already, and it works great.

Thanks

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I can't believe I didn't get one response. Oh well.

I got some DME and boiled up a cup in some water, cooled it, and poured about 4 oz. into the bottle it came in, and shook it up really well, then capped it with a piece of aluminum foil. (sanitized) This morning I had a small kreusen head on each. I had also bought a Trappistes Rochefort 8, and I am culturing that yeast also.

One question, are those the same yeast ?? I haven't been able to find an answer.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Old 02-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I don't know if they're the same yeast, but I love the 3787 yeast.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 02-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have since done some further investigation. The Westmalle Dubbel has the 3787 yeast. Where the Trappistes Rochefort 8 uses a 1762 yeast. Not sure the differences, but that's what I found out.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Old 02-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Deofol

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's a pretty interesting idea. Never thought of stealing a comercial brewers yeast strain by using the yeast from the bottle.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
chione
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

how to culture from bottles
http://byo.com/departments/1361.html

yeast strains and brewery
http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Old 02-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only thing I can think to tell you is that some breweries don't use the same yeast for bottle conditioning, so you may be getting a more generic strain if you culture. I'd go with the 3787---or better yet, the 1762 (the best yeast strain on the planet).

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
bikegeek
Recipes 

Last I heard, Westmalle does bottle with their primary yeast. I've never had any luck using dregs from a bottle though. Considering everything that yeast has been through since it was bottled, I'm not surprised.

According to Brew Like A Monk, Westmalle is the source for both Wyeast 3787 and WLP530. However, the book does note that "while [the lab] may have kept its [strain] much the same in the years since it was taken from [the brewery], [the brewery's] itself likely changed."

Old 02-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just thought I would give an update on my propagation of the Westmalle yeast, from a bottle of dubbel.

It has taken some time, but I have some really good activity in my Westmalle yeast. They must have been really sleepy. I have been adding a small amount of wort, to my half gallon jug. I am going to let it go for another few days before adding the next addition of wort.

I also have been trying to do the same thing with a Trappiste Rochefort 8. I am not having much luck with this one. I may end up boiling that one off, and using the wort to add th the Westmalle yeast.

Just thought I would let everybody know that I have had success in propagating the yeast from an imported bottle of Belgian Ale.

Later,

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Old 02-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo80
I just thought I would give an update on my propagation of the Westmalle yeast, from a bottle of dubbel.

It has taken some time, but I have some really good activity in my Westmalle yeast. They must have been really sleepy. I have been adding a small amount of wort, to my half gallon jug. I am going to let it go for another few days before adding the next addition of wort.

I also have been trying to do the same thing with a Trappiste Rochefort 8. I am not having much luck with this one. I may end up boiling that one off, and using the wort to add th the Westmalle yeast.

Just thought I would let everybody know that I have had success in propagating the yeast from an imported bottle of Belgian Ale.

Later,
Where did you get your W12 recipe? Have you made it before? Did you use 3787? Thanks!

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Quick Reply