The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Culturing yeast from bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 03:45 AM   #1
GIusedtoBe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Culturing yeast from bottles

Any of you guys ever done this to clone a commercial brew? How about to reculture your own yeast from one of your homebrews? What are the benefits or drawbacks to doing this?

Thanks,
Al

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

People do it from commercial beers a lot. It is easy, I believe there is a section in How to Brew on the steps. I wouldn't do it from a home brew because those are the oldest, least floculative yeast. In commercial beers it is very possible that they filter then add a small amount of fresh yeast back. Be careful though many German hefeweizens and Belgians filter their ale yeasts and then add a more stable lager yeast for bottling. These yeast won't give you the original flavor if used.

http://byo.com/departments/1361.html
http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-7.html

Last edited by Beerrific; 08-16-2007 at 11:22 AM.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
People do it from commercial beers a lot. It is easy, I believe there is a section in How to Brew on the steps. I wouldn't do it from a home brew because those are the oldest, least floculative yeast.
http://byo.com/departments/1361.html
http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-7.html
Thanks for the reply.

Why is there a difference between reculturing from a commercial brew and from one of your homebrews? Would'nt both be more likely to select the less flocculant yeasts of the strain?

Al

Old 08-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIusedtoBe
Thanks for the reply.

Why is there a difference between reculturing from a commercial brew and from one of your homebrews? Would'nt both be more likely to select the less flocculant yeasts of the strain?

Al
Not if the brewery filters out the yeast, trashes those and the adds fresh cultures.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Plus, most of the stuff in your bottles you can get fairly cheap ($6/vial) and it might not be worth the risk of funky yeast or contamination, but the stuff in commercial beers may be harder to come by. Not to say you can't do it...

Old 08-17-2007, 03:42 AM   #6
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I've cultured yeast back from homebrew without a problem. I forgot to save/wash my very first batch (WLP001), and collected about 6 bottles' worth of yeast. I then began a starter on a very small scale (5 ml, since very few yeast) and worked it up over the course of a week. At about day 5, I had krausen in the now quart starter, which I took to be the sign of active, healthy yeast.

I also did this with Bell's Oberon, which keeps the same yeast from fermentation to bottle. My American Wheat has been fermenting actively with this for about 10 days now.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:46 AM   #7
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
Plus, most of the stuff in your bottles you can get fairly cheap ($6/vial) and it might not be worth the risk of funky yeast or contamination, but the stuff in commercial beers may be harder to come by. Not to say you can't do it...

I guess I'm just getting cheap. I've got three strains of yeast here in one form or another and my local HBS has a very limited selection. It's been near 100 degrees here lately and i really don't want to risk ordering more yeast by mail right now.

BTW have you ever re-cultured Westmalle or Sierra Nevada? Clone Brews uses these as examples of beers that you can do this with.

Thanks,
Al

Old 08-17-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
javedian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cultured Beer Bread

I just baked a loaf of bread from cultured homebrew yeast. Started with the dregs of 2 bottles of witbier (T-58) mixed with 10oz water, 5oz flour, and a good squirt of honey. Mixed in bowl, left sitting open on top of the fridge. Added the dregs of a porter (WLP001) the next day, then the dregs of a ESB (S-04). Stirred it up 2-3 times a day, adding a good pinch of sugar each time I stirred. Added 13 oz more flour, salt, and baked it on the BBQ for dinner tonight. Came out great - a little different flavor than regular homemade bread, but not too different, but didn't sour liked I hoped. I have decided that all my bottle dregs will go to feeding a bread starter, and hopefully I can get it to funkify or sour. The proportions were from Alton Brown on Good Eats, but I kept mine out of the fridge to keep the ale yeast happy (he used regular bread yeast)

Old 08-17-2007, 05:07 AM   #9
sully
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you can culture pacman from shakespere stout. did it with no problems.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:48 AM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Intriguing...but I'm guessing this is not feasable with bottles that have been filled from a keg?

MAybe I ought to use the sludge at the bottom of my keg. There's always a fair amount.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply