Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Culturing Schneider Weiss Yeast from a bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Culturing Schneider Weiss Yeast from a bottle

I will be brewing a Schneider Weiss clone this weekend and after reading Jamil's article in BYO about it, thought it would be fun to try and culture the yeast. I have a few questions....

1) Has anyone successfully done it? (It is the primary strain that they bottle condition with)

2) How long will this likely take? I have about 6 days until I brew.

3) How does this procedure sound?
a. Chill bottle to near freezing.
b. Sanitize outside of bottle.
c. Open bottle and decant 7/8 of the beer off the sediment layer.
d. Pitch a small amount of low gravity (1.020) wort into the bottle and cover with aluminum foil.
e. Let sit for a day.
f. Pitch the whole culture into a full bottle size of mid-gravity wort (1.030).
g. Let sit for two days day.
h. Chill culture to flocculate yeast.
i. Decant beer off top of yeast layer.
j. Pitch yeast into a 1.75 quart starter of 1.040 gravity wort.
k. Ferment out as long as possible.
l. Chill starter decant and pitch yeast layer to final beer.

4) I have an air pump that I used for the starter I made this week and it worked like a champ. Should I continually aerate a bottle culture?

Any other tips? Is this too short a time? My fall back is just to use the Weihenstephaner yeast if this falls through.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Schneider Weisse is supposedly bottled using the same yeast as fermenting.

If it's still alive it'll be a miracle unless you get it from a military base where most beers aren't export-style (pasteurized).

Give it a try...what do you have to lose?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
LayMeister
Recipes 

I cultured some yeast from a bottle of Aventinius earlier this summer in much the same way as you suggest. However, it took about a week for the initial wort in the bottle to get going. I guess the amount of viable yeast in the bottle was pretty small. Maybe you'll have more success. Just be prepared in case you don't.

Paul

Old 08-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Be prepared to step it up many times as there is very little visable growth during the first time or two.
It would also help to use the yeast from 3-4 bottles to shorten the time needed to multiply enough

Old 08-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
Be prepared to step it up many times as there is very little visable growth during the first time or two.
It would also help to use the yeast from 3-4 bottles to shorten the time needed to multiply enough
O.K. I need to make two cultures. I brew 10-12 gallons at a time and pitch into two separate primaries. Maybe I should pitch 3 bottles dregs into each starter? I mean, I still get to drink the beer so it is essentially free yeast [/justification]

I think I am convinced enough to at least try it. The story about the Adventious working has me encouraged. I have my wife's camera, so hopefully I will document the whole thing.

For those in the close area, if this works would anyone be interested in a yeast share? I could probably save or wash some of this for reuse if it works well...

Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Search for the threads on havesting Pacman yeast from about 4-5 months ago...you'll find a ton of info on what we all did. I got a ton of pacman, from several harvests.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
O.K. I need to make two cultures. I brew 10-12 gallons at a time and pitch into two separate primaries. Maybe I should pitch 3 bottles dregs into each starter? I mean, I still get to drink the beer so it is essentially free yeast [/justification]

I think I am convinced enough to at least try it. The story about the Adventious working has me encouraged. I have my wife's camera, so hopefully I will document the whole thing.

For those in the close area, if this works would anyone be interested in a yeast share? I could probably save or wash some of this for reuse if it works well...
Yeah it works, it just doesn't appear to at the beginning because of the low starting cell count.

I'm going to be doing my Drunk owl soon so I bought 6 Unibroue beers to get that Canadian/Belgian yeast for "free" also

Old 08-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Default Day One of Propogation

Here is day one:

Start with a sanitized growler. Sanitize two bottles of Schneider Weizen original.

Measure out 6 oz. pale DME, boil 1 cup water and mix in DME. Boil for 15 minutes.

While boiling pour beer into your handy weiss glass until yeast cake begins to move. Swirl yeast and empty into growler.

Looks like I got a very good amount of yeast in suspension!

After the wort is chilled, add to growler, swirl aggressively to aerate.

Here is the final after day one.

I am shaking periodically for the first day allowing the yeast to wake up. Hopefully this will work!

Last edited by Boerderij_Kabouter; 08-27-2008 at 01:55 AM.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Default Day Two of Propogation

So today is day two!

When I woke up this morning I had about a 1/8" yeast layer, which seems a good sign to me, but I am not sure.

When I got home from work tonight, I sanitized an additional two Schneider weisses and prepared another two cups of wort. This time I used 2 oz. of pale DME for 2 cups water.

Here is the new volume:

I am constantly aerating this one with my air stone.

As a side note, check out how well Fermcap-S works!!!!

Before fermcap about 5 seconds away from a big, big mess:

Within 2 minutes, Fermcap has the situation under control and bubbling away happily:

I love this stuff!!!!

I will keep you updated int he coming days. My plan is to leave the air stone in for 48 hours (Thursday night) then chill in the fridge overnight. On Friday morning, decant beer off top of yeast cake (hopefully) and pitch to a 1.75 qt. yeast starter. Then hopefully this will be all set for my brewday Sunday.

Comments?

Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

looking good