Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Culligan Water Bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Lanfox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Culligan Water Bottle?

Has any one checked to see what kind of plastic Culligan uses on there water bottles? I havent receved a responce from them yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's a lot of discussion about using waterbottles...and a lot of differring opinions. Some people use water bottles...some don't, and some only use them for making meads and apfelweins, but not beer. Unltimately it'll come down to your own choice.

But take a look first at the underside of the bottle at the symbol...

Here's some of the other codes....and some info.

1. PET or PETE – Light gauge containers such as store bought pop bottles should be a one time use only. Heavier gauge containers show no evidence of leaching chemicals.

2. HDPE – not known to leach unwanted chemicals.

3. PVC or V – Bad – Strong evidence to show the leaching of DEHA, a known human carcinogen.

4. LDPE – not known to leach unwanted chemicals although not as widely recycled as #1 or #2.

5. PP – not known to leach unwanted chemicals although not as widely recycled as #1 or #2.

6. PS - suspected to possibly leach harmful carcinogens

7. Assorted but usually polycarbonate – Bad – may contain leaching BPA.

Basically though 1 is the best 2 is ok....the other ones besides leaching problems are also the most succesible to oxygen permeability.

It may be regional....but I've seen some in Michigan with <7> on them...

Some stores carry them with <1>'s on them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
keiths

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Culligan bottle and it has a 7 on the bottom.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

just fwiw.. after a similar thread the other day, i checked the bottoms of my Arrowhead bottle and they were 7 as well.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Dean Palmer
Recipes 

None of the water bottles out there I've seen are suitable for use as a fermenter or conditioning vessel. There is the chemical issue as stated above, then there is oxygen permeation concerns. If you want plastic, spend a few more bucks and get a Better Bottle. Your beer is worth it! :-)

Dean

www.TheBeerJournals.com

Old 03-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
reshp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I buy Absopure in 3 gal bottles from Lowes and the bottles are made from PETE, same as Better Bottles (AFAIK). I re-use the bottles once or twice as secondaries before I recycle them. They're nice when you're adding stuff like fruit or chocolate since you don't have to worry about getting all that gunk out when you're done. Just give it a good rinse and toss in the recycling bin.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:12 AM   #7
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Palmer
None of the water bottles out there I've seen are suitable for use as a fermenter or conditioning vessel. There is the chemical issue as stated above, then there is oxygen permeation concerns. If you want plastic, spend a few more bucks and get a Better Bottle. Your beer is worth it! :-)
Well I'm a bit embarassed to admit it...but I use the #7 polycarbonate bottles on occasion. Being a bit concerned I did a little research and offer the following:

Polycarbonate has, and is the most common plastic used in baby bottles and is approved for food use by the US FDA as well as in Europe and Germany.

The O2 permeability of polycarbonate is relatively similiar to HDPE (aka ale pails)

That's it...I use em to ferment in on occasion. I also use stainless steel as well as HDPE buckets.

Do the research and make an informed judgement.

Sorry...but to read the above sounds like using polycarbonate is akin to making beer in a lead lined open crock.

MW

Old 03-07-2008, 04:58 AM   #8
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

And the debate begins yet again....

Old 03-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
jfish63
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer
Well I'm a bit embarassed to admit it...but I use the #7 polycarbonate bottles on occasion. Being a bit concerned I did a little research and offer the following:

Polycarbonate has, and is the most common plastic used in baby bottles and is approved for food use by the US FDA as well as in Europe and Germany.

The O2 permeability of polycarbonate is relatively similiar to HDPE (aka ale pails)

That's it...I use em to ferment in on occasion. I also use stainless steel as well as HDPE buckets.

Do the research and make an informed judgement.

Sorry...but to read the above sounds like using polycarbonate is akin to making beer in a lead lined open crock.

MW
My wife works in the hospital supply industry and there is a big push to stop using that plastic in baby bottles. Some hospitals have already switched over.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'd say the jury is still out on PET or PETE. Although they are generally considered safe. Antimony a toxic chemical used in making PET/PETE may leach into the water or beer. According to the Reader's Digest Feb 2008 " Last year, scienctists in Germany found that the longer a bottle of water sits around the more antimony it develops. High concentrations of antimaony can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. In the study the levels found were below those set as safe by the EPA, but it's a topic that needs more research".

Unfortunately for us the way industry and govt works, it seems most everything is considered safe until proven otherwise.

Lead, Mercury, Asbestos, DDT, Thalidmide, Vioxx ect. We have a long history of pulling products off the shelves only after the harmful effects are later discovered.

Last edited by abracadabra; 03-07-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply