The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Critique my fruit additions!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My tip is to not worry about it. You'll leave most of the seeds behind with the trub when you rack. The rest are small enough that you probably won't notice them while you drink. Your method sounds good too, though. I find the cucumber idea fascinating in a thank-god-that's-his-beer-and-not-mine sort of way, but that could just be the cucumber-lime Gatorade talking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
I find the cucumber idea fascinating in a thank-god-that's-his-beer-and-not-mine sort of way
I'm totally with you. Of course, if he has good things to say, I could be tempted into giving this a whirl...

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Cucumbers don't have a real assertive flavor, so I'm thinking they won't add much anyways. I've put some unusual ingredients in my beer, and it's worked out more often than not to my taste, so maybe cucumber ale will be good. I admire the experimental attitude very much.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
ouits
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS Brew View Post
I'm totally with you. Of course, if he has good things to say, I could be tempted into giving this a whirl...
The cucumber was inspired by this thread. Sounds like they had a good outcome. Honestly, the cucumber smelled the best when I was sanitizing all the additions. I'll give a report back on mine, and if it's no good it was only 1 gallon anyway.

I'll probably just bottle like normal without worrying about seeds/clogging. I'm anticipating a bit of a hassle with clearing out the cane and bottle wand every gallon and I didn't want additional hassle with clogged tubes. If it turns out to be a big deal I'll check out gelatin for the next batch.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

High quality gourmet organic fruit puree work well and add gravity...Add to the late stages of boil. Subtle fruit tones can be a powerful combo with the right hops. I can't critique your beer without trying it

Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
burtonboarder230
Recipes 

I just finished my first all grain batch as well as my first fruit batch. Did 5G American Wheat with 5lb's of frozen raspberry made into a puree and dumped into secondary for 2 weeks. Learned a couple things. Airlock on a 6 gallon carboy with 5 gallons of beer and 5lbs of raspberry puree will make one heck of a mess. When transferring to bottling bucket you don't really need anything to filter out the random chunks. It will mostly drop out. Lastly after bottling i let it sit for a month before trying a bottle. Taste and color were both amazing however i was hoping for a little sweeter of a taste. Next round im planning on filtering out the yeast before i add the fruit to get more of the sweet taste from the raspberry sugars rather then the yeast eating it.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #17
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonboarder230 View Post
Next round im planning on filtering out the yeast before i add the fruit to get more of the sweet taste from the raspberry sugars rather then the yeast eating it.
This won't work. There will still be plenty of yeast in suspension, and they will multiply when they eat the raspberries. If you're bottling, you will have to adjust your recipe by adding caramel malts, lactose, splenda, etc... If you're kegging and force-carbing, I'd still let the berries ferment, then I'd sorbate and back-sweeten.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #18
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonboarder230
I just finished my first all grain batch as well as my first fruit batch. Did 5G American Wheat with 5lb's of frozen raspberry made into a puree and dumped into secondary for 2 weeks. Learned a couple things. Airlock on a 6 gallon carboy with 5 gallons of beer and 5lbs of raspberry puree will make one heck of a mess. When transferring to bottling bucket you don't really need anything to filter out the random chunks. It will mostly drop out. Lastly after bottling i let it sit for a month before trying a bottle. Taste and color were both amazing however i was hoping for a little sweeter of a taste. Next round im planning on filtering out the yeast before i add the fruit to get more of the sweet taste from the raspberry sugars rather then the yeast eating it.
I used lactose sugar in a raspberry porter i brewed. 3# of frozen raspberry was overwhelming. It mellowed out with age and now tastes and smells great. Lactose sugar gave it some sweetness but ended up being a little too hot early on. Aging really helped it out. Maybe try cold crashing and raspberry extract at bottling with a touch of lactose sugar...hmmmm.

Quick Reply