The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Creating an NA (Or...how I neutered my beer)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #41
brew2dan2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I'm really excited to hear back about this, because I'd like to do this for my dad, if I can get it below 0.5%ABV. It's a long shot, but it'd be worth it, just to be able to share my obsessive hobby with him!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #42
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Well research in non-ABV Beers, showed production facilities either do it one of two ways. They either do not ferment at all (which is what most Malzbeirs do) or reverse osmosis drain the beer, which is almost impossible with a heavy beer and why most NA are light beers. Couldn't find a one that use the boil method.

I see why, I either ended up with off tasting beer (The hops seem to be the culprit giving a stringent flavor when the Alcohol is boiled off)

Because it seems I pick up at least .05-.075 if you ferment condition.

That said, so far lowest ABV and best flavor occurred with Big Beers. In this case specifically Belgian Quads, something lots of added sugars.. I also only put the first hops in and not the second. During this phase.

The go to fermentation but only for a day or two. I.E. Say you have a OG of 1.080.. let it ferment down to 1.070-1.060.. This gives you a ABV of under 2%. So whatever your OG is, use a calculator to figure out what the FG is that you need to stay under 1-2%.

Then SLOWLY bring your boil to 190 ( at low heat ), once to 190 add your second set of hops and maintain 190 for about a 1/2 hour.

This gave me an authentic flavor and smell to the beer, and lowered it to negligible ABV.

Now this is why I haven't posted. I tried a number of ways to bottle condition and either ended up with bottle bombs (Which I had kind of guesses would happen) or relatively flat beer. If I had a way to force carb these I think they would be good.

Overall they taste good, but because they are flat its hard to get a real sense of the mouthfeel etc.. that said like Malzbier they will be sweeter than standard beer. That said the taste seems closer than any others I have tried without the metallic flavor that comes from the osmisis process, and the soda flavor that comes from no fermentation at all.

I have a couple of bottles that I am going to try in a few weeks that have no carbonation, but wanted to condition for flavor testing purposes.

I may soon have a rig for farce carbing using 20oz and 2L Plastic bottles. Then I will be better able to tell. Once I get the beer to be what I would like to drink I will send samples for proper testing.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #43
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Interesting, I'm curious to hear your results with that. I'd be concerned that with that much residual sugar taste would be off as well as the possibility for an infection.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #44
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I wouldn't and wont be worried abut infection.. as sugars shouldn't be any worse than a soda or something and they don't get infected if everything is clean. The "Flat" non-abv boiled wort does taste a bit sweet.. but still beer like, not too many off flavors though. I think a lot of that has to do with fermenting it a little. If you ferment all the way you tend to get more off flavors as there obviously there is more alcohol to try to burn off and the boiling obviously cooks the beer..

Old 06-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #45
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
I wouldn't and wont be worried abut infection.. as sugars shouldn't be any worse than a soda or something and they don't get infected if everything is clean.
Sodas use plenty of preservatives for this.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #46
Trail
Can't stand the heat, stays out of the kitchen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
I see why, I either ended up with off tasting beer (The hops seem to be the culprit giving a stringent flavor when the Alcohol is boiled off)
You might try brewing your beer without adding ANY hops, then re-boiling it for the full hour at full temps while adding the hops after it's finished primary. The double boil would give you a mature malt profile and an authentic hop bill.

I suspect you'd need to increase hop amounts somewhat, as the thickness of the malt plays a part in hop oil extraction.

Kegged: Dry Irish Stout
Bottled: Dark English Mild
Bottled: No. 4 Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: Honey Saison

Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner
Primary: EdWort's Apfelwein

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #47
SewerRanger
Recipes 

Any luck getting the ABV results? My brother recently suffered a TBI (he's fine now; well as fine as you can be when your brain moves 7mm to the right) and he can't have any alchohol anymore. I'm hoping to brew him some NA beers but I need to be sure there is little to no alchohol left (doctor said something really low - no more then like 1% is fine).

Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #48
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Tried to neuter part of my Honey Porter batch for a good friend of mine who doesn't/can't tolerate alcohol but loves beer. I sprung for the White labs test, and just got my results back- failure. It reduced from 5.6%(calculated) to 5.45%(actual test%). I think I know where I goofed. My technique was to heat the gallon on the stove to 180*, then put it in the oven set on 170* for 1/2 hour. My guess is that the 170* setting may be even a lower temp. than stated. So, I'm going to try again with my next batch, 1st by checking the oven temp, then by raising the oven temp to 180*.
Interesting enough, when I checked the SG of the treated sample, it had only risen 2 points(1.016 vs. 1.014) which does fit with what the lab told me. So, I think I'm not going to shell out another $30, but will rely on the SG to tell me if I was successful.

Primary:on summer hiatus
Cold Conditioning:nothing
Bottle conditioning:Apricot Moon,
Drinking: Orange Moon, Ryecentennial PA,Caribou Slobber,Jim's Altbier,Mocha Cherry Stout,La Fin de L'Annee, Soxtoberfest, Pere Noel,Opening Day Vienna Lager, Ben's Doublealt, Gunslinger Cranberry Graf,Loghouse Honey Porter, several others

Old 09-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #49
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRausch View Post
Tried to neuter part of my Honey Porter batch for a good friend of mine who doesn't/can't tolerate alcohol but loves beer. I sprung for the White labs test, and just got my results back- failure. It reduced from 5.6%(calculated) to 5.45%(actual test%). I think I know where I goofed. My technique was to heat the gallon on the stove to 180*, then put it in the oven set on 170* for 1/2 hour. My guess is that the 170* setting may be even a lower temp. than stated. So, I'm going to try again with my next batch, 1st by checking the oven temp, then by raising the oven temp to 180*.
Interesting enough, when I checked the SG of the treated sample, it had only risen 2 points(1.016 vs. 1.014) which does fit with what the lab told me. So, I think I'm not going to shell out another $30, but will rely on the SG to tell me if I was successful.
Buy a refractometer. You can back-calculate (the theoretical) OG using a hydrometer AND refractometer FG measurement, then use that to calculate ABV.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #50
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 105

This is a fascinating thread. We have this beer cheese dip we make, and SWMBO was too worried to bring it to a family picnic with children.

I wondered if boiling would work, but we just made another dip.

Quick Reply