Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Creating an NA (Or...how I neutered my beer)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #21
bobbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default n/a wine?

This would probably work with wine, right? My wife's pregnant, and I think she'd appreciate a glass of very low ABV wine once in a while. I could probably do it with Edwort's apfelwein, but what about something I bought at the store (so I wouldn't have to wait two months for the apfelwein)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #22
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Thanks so much for that experiment. I may have to try that with my dunkel/schwartzbier hybrid (a.k.a., "Football Beer"). I don't have to worry about any hop aroma there, and it really is something I could enjoy for hours on end.

TL

Old 09-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #23
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did this last year for my dad, who's been sober for the last 20 years or so. Worked out okay, he loved the taste...but he said that not one of the 7 bottles carbonated...even though I added rehydrated yeast back to the bottles. I imagine it's much easier when kegging, but the only reason I have to do this is my dad, and he's asking for more, and I can't very well send him a keg. So maybe I'll rehyadrate my yeast a little better this time around. Not sure. I've got 5 gallons of porter that I'm gonna split in half....

Last time I did it, I put it in the oven to hold the temp easily. You could definitely tell that the alcohol was gone. Next time I might put hops in there while the alcohol is boiling away to counteract the hop loss.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #24
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1063 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 28

There's no reason why you couldn't add some aroma hops during the alcohol boil off procedure.. that would put it right back in.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #25
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
...but he said that not one of the 7 bottles carbonated...even though I added rehydrated yeast back to the bottles. ...So maybe I'll rehyadrate my yeast a little better this time around. Not sure. I've got 5 gallons of porter that I'm gonna split in half....
I think that you'd need to add the priming sugar and yeast to ge the reaction. I don't know what trace amounts of alcohol would be created by doing that though.

Kegging and force carbing does make it easier, and bottling a twleve pack from a keg is no big deal...

Old 09-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #26
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
I think that you'd need to add the priming sugar and yeast to ge the reaction. I don't know what trace amounts of alcohol would be created by doing that though.

Kegging and force carbing does make it easier, and bottling a twleve pack from a keg is no big deal...
Oh, I certainly did add the yeast along with the priming sugar last time. Might be easier this time because I now have muntons carb tabs.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #27
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just so you know, as you heat it, it should level off at the boiling point for the ethanol. Even if you add more heat, as the ethanol evaporates, the temperature will not change. You should just be able to monitor temperature, and once it starts to climb above the boiling point for ethanol, you know it is theoretically all gone.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:24 AM   #28
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Beautifully done BM. Nice photos, too.

I can appreciate the inquisitive side getting the best of you and experimenting just for the sake of knowledge. Thanks for sharing your findings!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 11-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #29
rmedved
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry to dig up zombie thread, but this interests me. Especially for summer session beers where I tend to drink all day on the boat but don't want to get smashed. How would one go about carbing this in a bottle?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #30
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Carb tabs, or bottle from keg are your two best bets.

On Deck: Chav Irish Red
Pipe Dreams: Chai Porter
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale

Quick Reply