Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > To crash cool then bottle...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #31
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

To me it's just like saying that serving a beer at 32F will be more carbonated than serving the same beer at 55F. Where did the extra CO2 come from?
I know this came up in BYO and it agreed with me. It's come up on other forums and the answer is usually the same as well.

It would also meen that my George Schwarz was carbed to 3.2 volumes and not the 2.4 it felt like.

Last edited by Malticulous; 08-31-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #32
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
I think he is wrong too. If there is more CO2 in it at 32F than when I bulk aged it at 75 where did the CO2 come from?
Well, that's the kicker. It isn't there. Unless the CO2 was under pressure, or unless it fermented some more, there is no more CO2 in solution than there was just before crash cooling.

To be honest, I never even thought of this problem until today. I always just put 3/4 cup sugar in by bottling bucket and called it good. I never had a problem with Carb level, but I also never crash cooled my wort until after I got a keg set up.

But now I will have to start filling bottled again if I want to make more beer. My kegs are filling up. For me, I'll go by the highest temp the beer was at before crashing. It just makes sense that that is the highest level of residual carbonation possible without either pressure or fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply