Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Counter Flow Chiller Location

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Counter Flow Chiller Location

Hey guys

Picked up a counter flow wort chiller recently to replace the immersion chiller I have been using for a while. I am curious on where to mount it. I have a single tier brew stand with one pump. I will be running pretty cold water coming out of the well through it. I am thinking about mounting it under the boil kettle and pumping through it and gravity feeding into a carboy. Will it cool the wort down fast enough to mount it under the boil kettle and only need to run it once? Or should I plan on cycling through it a couple of times? If so, does anyone ever lose wort at the end with it going against gravity?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38372 View Post
Hey guys

Picked up a counter flow wort chiller recently to replace the immersion chiller I have been using for a while. I am curious on where to mount it. I have a single tier brew stand with one pump. I will be running pretty cold water coming out of the well through it. I am thinking about mounting it under the boil kettle and pumping through it and gravity feeding into a carboy. Will it cool the wort down fast enough to mount it under the boil kettle and only need to run it once? Or should I plan on cycling through it a couple of times? If so, does anyone ever lose wort at the end with it going against gravity?

Thanks
You can probably chill the wort with one pass. With one pump, you can go from BK-pump-wort chiller-fermenter by simply connecting them. You don't have to gravity feed.

I sometimes recirculate for 10 minutes or so (with the chiller hooked up) so the whole batch gets to 140, and then send it to the fermenter on the next pass.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply