Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Correcting Diacetyl

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
snwmnhntr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Correcting Diacetyl

I brewed a Maibock (wyeast munich lager), and after it had reached 90% I gave it a short d-rest. it has been lagering at 39 for almost 5 weeks. I took a sample today and there is a major diactyl flavor. I think my d-rest may not have been long enough (1 day at 70). I was thinking of raising the temp to 50-55 and letting it sit for another week or so. I suppose I could always get some more yeast and repitch. what do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I assume that since it's been lagered that it's been racked?

It's best to do the diacetyl rest on the yeast cake, but you can go ahead and do it now since you've got the diacetyl flavor.

Let it warm up to the mid-60s (65 would be great) and let it sit there until every trace of diacetyl is gone. In small amounts, diacetyl leaves an oiliness or slickness on the tongue- so even if you can't taste it you might still be able to detect some that wait. Once it's completely gone, then you can bottle. Hopefully, you have enough yeast there to clean up the diacetyl and repitching isn't necessary.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I do my D-rests a minimum of 72 hours...usually a week, because I forget.

This is a great thread on it...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/prev...-please-70438/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have been doing a series of APAs with a different hop throughout the whole boil each time. Well I recently did a Sorachi Ace APA and did everything as I normally do, pitched US-05, fermented around 65 and it sat in the carboy for a couple weeks at 70 then it was cold crashed and kegged. It's been in the keg for another couple of weeks and I decided to pull a sample to see how it was before carbing...diacetyl like you wouldn't believe. The only thing I can think is that I somehow got a bad pack of 05 with bad viability.

Anyway, I am thinking about making a bit of starter and when it hits high krausen pitching it in to see if it can reabsorb some of it. Has anyone ever tried this method before with success? I'll probably try it anyway since it is that or feeding it to the 'ol septic tank.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
I'll probably try it anyway since it is that or feeding it to the 'ol septic tank.
I hope you're only kidding about this part

You have to at least bottle and walk away for a few months...

You have to at least Try with anybeer that doesn't taste like Satan's Anus...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
snwmnhntr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I assume that since it's been lagered that it's been racked?
Yes it was racked after 14 days and a 1 day d-rest. I will pull it out of the fridge and let it sit for a coule of days and see what that does.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

If it hasn't cleaned up after a week, I'd re-pitch. A dry yeast would be best, as you would have more cells. Definitely re-hydrate.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
If it hasn't cleaned up after a week, I'd re-pitch. A dry yeast would be best, as you would have more cells. Definitely re-hydrate.
Just dump a rehydrated pack right in there? Has this worked for you in the past?

Old 05-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you guys need to learn some patience. 14 days fermenting on a lager is short, even if it has attenuated fully. 24hour D rest is a tad short as well. The yeast do more than just convert sugar to alcohol and they continue to do it after the primary fermentation is complete. Even with ales.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
you guys need to learn some patience. 14 days fermenting on a lager is short, even if it has attenuated fully. 24hour D rest is a tad short as well. The yeast do more than just convert sugar to alcohol and they continue to do it after the primary fermentation is complete. Even with ales.
+1 to this, I didn't catch the time frame...

To lager means to "store" and it's in the storage where most of the cleaning up of all the by products of lager yeasts happen....

You don't want to rush these things.....

Good catch z!!!

Quick Reply