Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Corny Keg as Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 12:03 AM   #11
desertbronze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
i've broken two carboys. both times it was because i did something stupid.

the weight sucks and the chance of breaking is higher. other than that, they are the best IMO. so much easier to clean, will last forever, and i still like to see what's going on with my fermentation.

start fermenting in kegs and i think you'll need to take them apart every few times you use them just to ensure they are clean. just seems like more trouble than its worth to me. if you're worried about shatters, i would agree with budbo on trying the better bottles.

keg for the secondary is great, tho. from there you can cold condition and tap straight from the keg, you could use it as a bright tank, or you can filter to another keg. it gives great options.
For me, the kegs are easier to clean. And buckets are easier to clean than either kegs or carboys. And I don't care about watching the fermentation - I just open the lid on keg or bucket to check on it.

I always disassemble my kegs after every use. 10 seconds with a ratchet - give all the parts a hot water soak and rinse - a StarSan soak - and put it back together in 30 seconds. Takes me less time than scrubbing a carboy.

I considered using the better bottles, but I already had the kegs. I tried them - I liked them - and I haven't used a carboy in over a year. I encourage everyone to try it - you won't be disappointed.

Kegged - Where's Waldo Amber Ale
Dry peppering - Jalapeno Wheat
On the fruit - Currant Wheat and Huckleberry Wheat

Primary - FUBAR Weizenbock and Accidental Dunkelweizen

Hops - Centennial, Nugget, Mt. Hood, Cascade, Willamette, Magnum, Chinook

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 04:49 AM   #12
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm planning this setup exactly, 9 gallons lagering in two cornies in a 5 cu foot Oster fridge. I posted about it a few days ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/smal...-fridge-94328/

Instead of the QD on gas post, Conpewter suggested I just remove the post and use a silicone hose shoved over the connector. I will be trying that.

I'll add Fermcap before fermentation and I'm doing lagers in them so I don't expect crazy blowoff anyway. For ales I'd just split a 6-7 gallon batch across two cornies and do the same thing so there is plenty of headspace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 12-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbronze View Post
I always disassemble my kegs after every use. 10 seconds with a ratchet - give all the parts a hot water soak and rinse - a StarSan soak - and put it back together in 30 seconds. Takes me less time than scrubbing a carboy.
that's the way to do it. i too often get lazy and just run solutions through the lines. i'm wasting my time.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply