New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Corking Belgian bottles with Portugese double-lever corker.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Corking Belgian bottles with Portugese double-lever corker.

I have a lambic and a tripel that I'd like to put into Belgian bottles. I have the bottles, corks, cages, but I realized when I test-corked an empty bottle that my Portugese double-lever corker pushes the cork all the way into the bottle.

This is the type of corker I have: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1336

Now, IF I was to simply push the Belgian cork all the way into the bottle, and cage the bottles as well as I can, will the carbonation eventually push the cork up against the cage, sealing the bottle? Or is this a really stupid and dangerous idea?

Bottled - Berliner Weisse, Black Cherry Juice Wine, Brett B Red Wine, Canned Pineapple Wine, Dandelion Honey Braggot, Dandelion Honey Mead, Dragon's Milk Clone, Hibiscus Wine, Pomegranate Wine, Red Grape Juice Wine, Sour Blonde Ale, Stout! (Sour Cherries), Strawberry Wine (2013)l, White Grape Juice Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Only danger will be when you have to use a corkscrew to open the bottles. I don't think normal carbonation will push the cork back up.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I planned to bottle with like 3 volumes of CO2. Would that be enough to push the cork up, do you think?

Bottled - Berliner Weisse, Black Cherry Juice Wine, Brett B Red Wine, Canned Pineapple Wine, Dandelion Honey Braggot, Dandelion Honey Mead, Dragon's Milk Clone, Hibiscus Wine, Pomegranate Wine, Red Grape Juice Wine, Sour Blonde Ale, Stout! (Sour Cherries), Strawberry Wine (2013)l, White Grape Juice Wine

Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwin3083 View Post
I planned to bottle with like 3 volumes of CO2. Would that be enough to push the cork up, do you think?
Not in my experience. I accidentally pushed the corks all the way in on a couple bottles carbed to 3.5 and they didn't pop back out.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I don't think the pressure will do much either. Can you seat it higher if you don't pull the levers/arms all the way? FWIW, I use the Colonna Capper/Corker and it works well.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
I don't think the pressure will do much either. Can you seat it higher if you don't pull the levers/arms all the way? FWIW, I use the Colonna Capper/Corker and it works well.
No, the double lever corker really, really wants to push the cork all the way in.

However, it has come to my attention that a local friend has a floor corker that I can borrow, so the point appears to have become moot.

Quick Reply