Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cooling wort question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My partial boils are 1-1.5 gals.

I place 4 gal of water in the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing. After the brew is done I pour 2 gal into the primary and sparge the hops with the remaining 2 gals and top off to 5.25 gals.

The temp is down the about 72F or lower every time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2006, 06:29 AM   #12
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird
Just make an immesion chiller there CHEEEEEP and EASY and i will probably be the best brewing investment. untill you buy a GOOD counter flow.
JJ
Ya, that's probably one of my next two purchases. I've got to start spreading them out a little or SWMBO is going to have my head on a platter. I love all the toys that come with this hobby - makes me feel like a mad scientist - lol.

There is a pretty sweet guide to building a nice counterflow somewhere on this board, but I don't really have a use for one until I get a big pot with a valve.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:36 AM   #13
Noldar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the double sink method. Right off the burner I put the kettle into a water bath with a light amount of ice since it'll heat up extremely fast. While it's sitting in the one side of the sink, I fill up the other with some ice. Once the water is warm, I switch the kettle over and repeat the process, gradually adding more ice to the cold water in the sink as the wort cools. I occasionaly and slowly stir the wort as well when it's chilling.

I timed my last effort and it took 30minutes to bring a wort down to 80 degrees that way. I'm fairly certain I could lower it to about 25 with some shenanigans

I'm still going to invest in making a Wort Chiller in the next month or so.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:41 AM   #14
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Wort chiller's definately on the to-do list. Pretty long list though, it may take a little while to get to it!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:18 AM   #15
D*Bo
Recipes 

Recommmend checing prices for copper tubing at a plumbing supply shop. Talk to the person at the counter, you should be able to get it far cheaper than at HD or Lowes.

Using straight tap water thru a 3/8" x 25-30ft copper tube immersion chiller gets my 5.5 gallon wort to less than 70* in 5 min or so.

Just drop it in the wort (cleaned off of course) with 10min left in the boil to sanitize it.

A couple months ago I was able to pick up 50' of 3/8 for $27, But I've got a friend at a supply house, soI get it for employee cost. Maybe some tasty home brews could be traded for a discount.

Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Quick Reply