Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cooling the wort problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
2xbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cooling the wort problem

Hey fellas I made my first batch of a Guinness clone dry irish stout. I did it as all grain and everything went well except for my inexperience. On brewing day it was 10 degrees outside so I decided to sterilize the lid and try to let nature cool the wort of this 5 Gallon batch. Three to four hours later and a lot of stirring with a sanitized spoon the wort still didn't cool, so I then I used a wort chiller and got it down to temperature. I'm now putting it into a secondary fermenter after 2 weeks of primary.

My question is with the extra wort chilling time and the extra stirring am I going to have taste problems because of extra aeration?
I think I was very sterile the whole time but should I be expecting any bacteria issues? Thanks Tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 153

You should be fine, don't worry. I'm sure it will be the best homebrew you've ever had - no kidding! With that batch there's really no hurry to cool it quick besides contamination and you think you were good with that. Aeration at that point is a needed thing and the jury is still out on hotside aeration

Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
2xbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug
You should be fine, don't worry. I'm sure it will be the best homebrew you've ever had - no kidding! With that batch there's really no hurry to cool it quick besides contamination and you think you were good with that. Aeration at that point is a needed thing and the jury is still out on hotside aeration
Thanks a lot that's exactly what I needed to know.

Quick Reply