Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cooling wort with ice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I place 4 - 1 gal jugs of PUR filtered tap water in the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing.

I use it for top off water. I've been doing it for years and haven't had any problems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
debaniel
Recipes 

Amen brother. I put a gallon of wally world Spring Water in the freezer for a few hours, throw another 2 of 'em into the fridge...

that'll get your temps down in a hurry.

bags of ice directly into your wort - do-able, but riskier than other options. you might get away with it a hundred (or two) times before you get a contaminated batch, or you might get a contamination on batch 1. but the odds are a little more against you than with a sanitized chiller or even slightly frozen, slushy bottled water like i use.

they just don't clean those ice machines very much, even when they start with RO water.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
HomelessWook
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im curious as to how you get the big chunk of ice out of the bottle to throw into the wort. do you cut the bottle open with a sanitized box cutter or something?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
blindtiger
Recipes 

those cheap plastic containers from ziplock work great for sticking in the freezer to make big blocks of ice, and its easy to get the ice out.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
HomelessWook
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well what i want to do to minimize prep time is buy a few gallons of mineral water and freeze them. i would assume you use a sterile blade of some sort to cut the plastic from around the cube but was looking for some guidance.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good tip Blindtiger.

Just get some Ziploc plastic food containers to freeze the water and then reuse them. How cool is that?

Pop open, pour in water, put on lid, stack in freezer, freeze, pot off lid and dump in pot. A lot easier than cutting open a gallon jug with water frozen in the handle.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
guinnessface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used a combination of techniques. First, I hear that the ice bought in bags is made from distilled water. I've used it before with good results. A better technique is to freeze a gallon of spring water (not distilled....for better flavor's sake), cut away the bottle and add it to the hot wort. If you use this along with an immersion bath, the ice block may not completely melt and it cold bring your wort temperature down significantly below your desireed fermentation temp.......think delayed fermentation. Finally, I learned another good technique: Before you start your boil, put a gallon of Spring water or whichever water you're using) in the freezer. After flame out, use an immersion ice bath and add the water to the pot from the freezer.....it should be just the ight temp at this time to bring your wort down to the right temp in a quick manner. Keep an eye on the temp during the process....if it's too warm, add ice to the immersion bath water. All of the previous posts were spot on, I jus thought you'd like a few more techniques. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #18
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I just put a couple of gallons of bottled water in the freezer just before I go out and start the burner. I brew, then cool the pot in the sink with ice. The top up water in the freezer is super cold, sometimes the top is starting to freeze, just barely. That water cools the wort the rest of the way down. maybe 20 minutes for the cooling process. I also salt the ice in the sink.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_Guy View Post
Good tip Blindtiger.

Just get some Ziploc plastic food containers to freeze the water and then reuse them. How cool is that?

Pop open, pour in water, put on lid, stack in freezer, freeze, pot off lid and dump in pot. A lot easier than cutting open a gallon jug with water frozen in the handle.
This is what I did when I did partial boils. However bag ice, if you are comfortable with it being sanitary enough, would be a lot faster.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #20
bja
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
This is what I did when I did partial boils. However bag ice, if you are comfortable with it being sanitary enough, would be a lot faster.
Like was said before (several years ago actually) bagged ice is made from RO water, which is pure.

Quick Reply