Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cooling the Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
joeyuwp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cooling the Wort

I have been submerging the brew pot in a ice water bath to cool after boiling but after reading some of Papazian's books he always seems to just dump the wort into the primary which has a couple gallons of cold water in it. Is this all right? It would cut some time out of the preparation. I thought the wort had to cool in the pot so things settle out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
Rookie
Recipes 

Adding 2-3 gallons of just boiled wort to 3-2 gallons of cold water probably won't get the whole thing down to optimal yeast pitching temperature. Unless you cool it down some before mixing them together.
2 1/2 gallons of 200 degree water added to 2 1/2 gallons of 60 degree water should average out to over 100 degrees; not good yeast pitching temperature.
(BUYER BEWARE, this is a guess and I haven't actually measured the temps in such a case)

Rookie
"We all put the yeast in", Larry, Moe & Curley.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
Steve973
Recipes 

Rookie, your advice sounds good to me. I believe that the scenario that you describe would result in approximately 130 degree water. Yeast'd be more unhappy than you dropped into an Afghani desert.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
joeyuwp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie
Adding 2-3 gallons of just boiled wort to 3-2 gallons of cold water probably won't get the whole thing down to optimal yeast pitching temperature. Unless you cool it down some before mixing them together.
2 1/2 gallons of 200 degree water added to 2 1/2 gallons of 60 degree water should average out to over 100 degrees; not good yeast pitching temperature.
(BUYER BEWARE, this is a guess and I haven't actually measured the temps in such a case)
I didn't mean to add yeast right away. I meant instead of letting the pot cool in an ice bath, the wort cools in cold water in the primary. I just don't know how this affects the settlement of stuff and end result.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My practice, since 1993, has been to place 4 gals of water in a freezer for 3-5 hours prior to brewing.

The water I use is tap, but it is filtered through a PUR water filter (the kind that screws on to the faucet).

I boil 1.5 - 2 gals. I usually lose about 1/5 gal in the boil and when transferring between the primary and secondary.

I place a nylon net on the primary prior to pouring 2 gals of cold water in. then I pour in the wort. The net aerates the wort for me as well as catches the hops and Irish Moss, etc. Then I sparge the contents of the net with another gal of water or so. Afterwards, I squeeze the water out of the net and remove it to the sink, then top off to 5.5 gals.

I'll stir this for several minutes to mix it pretty well. I take a sample with a thief and place it (the sample) in the plastic tube to take my temp and hydrometer readings.

Usually my temp is in the 70s (within minutes) as soon as I bring the water level up to 5.5 gals. Then I'll pitch the yeast, place the lid on and an airlock and move to its happy fermenting place....

The process is pretty simple and it works for me.

Now when I use grains the instructions change a bit, but everyone knows that.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
Eskram
Recipes 

The one batch I made using that method, I had to wait well over an hr for the temp to drop enough to pitch the yeast...

The other 4, I chilled the pot in the sink for 10-15 min before adding the wort to the rest of the water and was able to pitch immediately.

I'd rather wait 15 minutes than an hour to pitch.

Primary:
American Brown Ale
Secondary 1:
Sam Adams clone
Secondary 2:
Empty
Secondary 3: Empty

Bottled: Pilsner, Pale Ale III, Oktoberfest
Next up: ?

Old 10-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
joeyuwp
Recipes 

Yeah I was just thinking of ways to avoid a trip to the store to get ice. In a month or so the Wisconsin winter will supply all the ice and cold temps I need It'll be real easy to just stick the pot in a snowbank.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:50 AM   #8
rewster451

Recipes 

Isn't it supposed to be dangerous to allow the wort to aerate while it's still warm? I heard from a buddy of mine who also brews that the oxygen bonds differently when it's warm and sometimes doesn't unbond until weeks or months later, oxidizing your beer. Maybe that's really not that big a concern though?

Old 10-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #9
OtherWhiteMeat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually put my brew pot in the sink with ice water. I do keep the brew pot lid on to prevent stuff getting in and over exposure to air. Then when the temp comes down to around 90f i put it in the primary with the water. At that time its usually cool enough. If you put it in the primary right away then try and continue to cool all 5 gal it will take much much longer.

Ive had such good luck doing it, im in no hurry to get a wort chiller.

Still a newb, but im brewin' myself through it!

Up next:
Primary:
Bottled: Franziskaner Hefeweizen
Bottled: Light American Pale Ale
Bottled: Newcastle clone
Bottled: Light Honey Ale
Bottled: Apple Cider (Tastes more like sweet wine)
Bottled: Apricot Ale(finished)

Old 10-03-2005, 02:50 AM   #10
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I use chilled spring water and just dump the wort in once it is done boiling. I have a thermometer on the outside of the tank - once the temp drops to a reasonable number, in goes the yeast. On a warm day it can take a bit of time, but I have had no problems and never waited more than maybe a half hour.

Quick Reply