The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Continuous Hopping - Stepping up the quantity with each addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
MoeFoties
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Continuous Hopping - Stepping up the quantity with each addition

I caught myself daydreaming yesterday after contemplating a DFH 90-minute clone. I was thinking about what the result would be if you paired the "late hopping" technique (as described in Gordon Strong's new book "Brewing Better Beer") with the continuous hopping technique popularized by the well-known DFH recipes. I guess it wouldn't EXACTLY be a simple pairing of the two techniques, but more of an emphasis on continuous hopping by dividing your entire hop bill into precisely timed additions (say maybe an addition every 5-minutes during a 60-minute boil). The idea would be to increase each addition by a certain amount, so that if you had a graphic image of all the additions in your mind it would look sort of like a staircase.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the idea. If you've actually tried something like that and have a store to tell, even better!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Emmett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've done the every 5 min additions before, but never precise or increased in amount. Usually I do something like 2oz@90, 2oz@60 and 8-10oz split up equally every 5 min until the end of boil.

In my primary I have a IPA that I only used 2oz @ 60 and 14oz in the remaining 15 min of boil(IIRC). That might be more like what your suggesting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply