Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Contamination question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
ESPY
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Contamination question

I think I've encountered my first dose of contaminated homebrew. I did a clone of Pete's Wicked that I initially thought turned out pretty good. I kegged most of it and bottled about 12. I gave a couple each to some friends and they both liked it. After that it really went down hill. It got a medicinal/chemical flavor that must have been contamination. I dumped the keg and tasted one of the remaining bottles and it was bad too. So it seems to me that it must be something I did during the bottling/kegging process.

Is it common for contamination to get worse with time? I'm surprised that the first samples were OK. And does contamination develop even in cold temp?

Thanks,
SP

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I thought chlorophenols were from chlorine reactions with the phenols produved by the yeast. Perhaps you didn't rinse your containers enough after sanitizing?

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 12-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
ESPY
Recipes 

I use the One Step no-rinse sanitizer, so it's probably not that. I do soak my carboys in bleach water before use but always do a thorough rinse followed by a soak in One Step. But if the problem came from my carboys I wouldn't expect the original samples to have turned out OK. So I'm wondering if maybe I didn't sanitize the bottling bucket well enough.

Probably a long shot: I know One Step is supposed to be no rinse, but I wonder what happens if you don't thoroughly dissolve all of the powder and end up racking on top of some undissolved One Step. White powder in a white bucket...I could have missed it.

Quick Reply