Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Containing all those leaf hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
archer75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Containing all those leaf hops?

Currently I only do one or two hop additions when brewing and I use some nylon bags with drawstrings that I tie shut and throw into the boil. Since i'm using leaf hops this keeps the mess of hops cotained in the bag.

On my last brew a bag worked itself open and all the hops came out which resulted in a clogged ball valve and a mess trying to get all the beer out of there.

My next brew I want to make has a lot of hop additions. How should I handle this? I don't really want to throw in a dozen bags of leaf hops(I can, just seems like a lot of cleaning afterwards) and would like some good reusable options. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
neophilus
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I did an IPA today with 4 oz whole leaf hops and I just threw them loose in the kettle. After I chilled I wrapped my auto siphon in a paint strainer bag and racked to my Carboy. Worked great - all the hop material stayed in the kettle. You just lose a bit of wort in the kettle to the hops.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

I have this: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/...tainless-steel

It does NOT work with pellet hops, but it works so great with leaf hops! The hops just go in the boil, and then I open the ballvalve and the hops stay in the kettle, and strain out the hot break as well by forming a filter on the screen. Hops pellets will clog it right up though!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I made a hop spider out of a pvc coupling, four inch I think, and a wooden dowel rod. I attach a5 gallon paint strainer bag to the coupling worth a big hose clamp and add my hops to that. Works worth lead and pellet. The bag doors get heavy with big leaf brew says

Quick Reply