Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Consequences of racking too early?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
drunkatuw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Consequences of racking too early?

I have a batch of Edwort's kolsch fermenting (since last Sunday) and the gravity is down to 1.020. I wanted to brew again tomorrow but I don't have any empty primary fermenters.

So what would be the downside of racking to secondary tomorrow morning before my brew session? Would it stall the fermentation? I'd think that the yeast in suspension would be enough to finish off the fermentation in the secondary, but I tasted the hydro sample and at 1.020, it's very sweet and I'd be disappointed if that's what the final product tasted like.

Opinions? I know I could push my brew session to next weekend, but I want to get my pipeline filled back up, so if possible, I definitely want to brew tomorrow.

Edit: I guess another solution would be to bring the beer out of the 64 degree basement upstairs where it is 75+, but I have a feeling that might lead to some off flavors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 01:38 AM   #2
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You could always swirl up some in the trub while Racking to make sure you get enough.. It may slow down the ferment, but shouldn't have an impact on the beer..as long as you have sugars and yeasties they will eat.

I have done it a number of times before I had enough carboys with no negative effect on the beer.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:44 AM   #3
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just read this while doing some google "research":

Quote:
Fault: Diacetyl Buttery, Butterscotch, Movie Popcorn

Cause: Try another yeast strain. Oxygenate wort before fermentation. Reduce primary fermentation temperature. Use a warmer/longer secondary fermentation. Use healthy yeast in sufficient quantity. Make sure sufficient yeast nutrients are available (including reducing adjunct use). Check for infection. Allow beer to rest on yeast until fully attenuated. Don't rack, filter or fine too early. Don't crash-cool yeast. If lager, raise temperature for a diacetyl rest at end of fermentation. Bottle condition beer at cellar temperatures. Avoid adding oxygen during fermentation.
Source: http://www.bjcp.org/faults.html

That buttered, cooked corn taste might be enough to discourage me from racking too early. Or maybe I'm getting DMS and diacetly confused.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The stress put on the yeast would be too much to get by withou any off-flavors occuring. You will likely develop some fruity esters if not the diacetyl, and it may stall your fewrment, making your beer either never attenuate properly, or still be working away by the time this next one needs to go to secondary. Patience is the key to great beer.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 05-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yet another example for why I keep telling people to not rack too soon.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You could always buy another fermentation bucket...they're cheap. That way you can brew AND leave your existing brew alone.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I thought about buying two buckets (10gal batches), but two problems. 1, LHBS is closed today and 2, I use a wort wizard to pull the wort thru my CFC, so I need to use a carboy (although I could put the wort in a 5gal carboy and then dump into a bucket (it will help aerate).

I watched the airlocks for a little bit this morning and they were still bubbling every 4-5 sec, so it looks like brew day will have to wait until next weekend.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Patience Daniel son. Let it ferment dont rack to the secondary until it is time. My opinion.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #9
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkatuw View Post
I just read this while doing some google "research":

Source: http://www.bjcp.org/faults.html

That buttered, cooked corn taste might be enough to discourage me from racking too early. Or maybe I'm getting DMS and diacetly confused.
Don't crash cool yeast? That's a new one for me.

Quick Reply