New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Consensus on pure O2 aeration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
briewer2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Consensus on pure O2 aeration

I recently got one of those pure O2 aeration systems and a disposable benzomatic tank. I want to know how long I should run it for. I have read many of the posts about this and have found times between 30 sec w very little flow, to a few minutes at full blast. So I figured I would be safe doing about 45sec, until the product showed up with directions that say to pump for 15-30 MINUTES. I just want someone who has done it a lot to tell me how long they do it. I assume the OG also is a factor. Like I said, I only did it for about 45sec last night, and then pitched a full yeast cake (O.G. was about 1.085). Am I good, should I do it some more?.... IM FKING TIRED OF OFF FLAVORS FROM SLOW FERMENTATIONS (that emoticon really expresses how I feel)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I am sure that there are some real scientific numbers, but here's what I do.

First I use a stainless stone that I got from Austin Homebrew.
I sanitize the hell out of the stone and tube. I put it into the ferm, give the ferm a swirl, then open the 02.

You'll notice that the valve is a lot more like on/off than control.
You'll know when it is areating. When the "band" of areated wort reaches all the way around, or when foam reaches the top, your golden.

I just did one last night. Into the ferm @ 7:00pm, krausen at 8:00am, 1.060 w/ 1L starter. Every one I've done has been similar.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

60 seconds per 5 gallons is plenty!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
briewer2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrr81765 View Post
When the "band" of areated wort reaches all the way around, or when foam reaches the top, your golden.
I was wondering what that was. I saw the band afterwards, but I just bubbled until a bit-o-foam came out the top.

I'm gonna call fermentap and figure out why it says "you need a total time of about 30-120 minutes. We use 45 minutes for normal gravity worts (more for higher gravity worts)"

Old 05-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
coyote
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briewer2 View Post
I'm gonna call fermentap and figure out why it says "you need a total time of about 30-120 minutes. We use 45 minutes for normal gravity worts (more for higher gravity worts)"
I'd bet money those directions (30-120 minutes) are for "seconds", not minutes.

I hit my high-grav brews with 2 minutes of O2. latest edition of BYO mentions 2 minutes, as well.

Last edited by coyote; 05-02-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 100

been using the red tanks for years. Same as Irr81765 with cleaning, etc. While you can go for 'full blast' - that seems wasteful and inefficient, so I go for just visible bubbling from stone, and I go for 60 seconds.
Been getting decent starts, but I might bump up to 90 secs, to see if they start faster - usually about 24hrs w/o starter, 8-12 with.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briewer2 View Post
I was wondering what that was. I saw the band afterwards, but I just bubbled until a bit-o-foam came out the top.

My guess is that they are referring to using an aquarium pump versus pure O2. I takes longer if using an aquarium pump.

Gary

Old 05-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah, is it possible the directions were in the bag with the tubing and diffusion stone and NOT the O2 regulator? 30 minutes would be for air pump, not pure O2. I used 60-120 seconds.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 05-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
pherball
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
been using the red tanks for years. Same as Irr81765 with cleaning, etc. While you can go for 'full blast' - that seems wasteful and inefficient, so I go for just visible bubbling from stone, and I go for 60 seconds.
Been getting decent starts, but I might bump up to 90 secs, to see if they start faster - usually about 24hrs w/o starter, 8-12 with.
If you think about it, more oxygen should produce a longer lag time because fermentation doesn't begin until all the oxygen has been eaten up by the yeast. I think, the benefit of more oxygen is that it increases your overall cell count, because the yeast propogate while there is oxygen.

In practice, my longest lag times were experienced when i used o2

Side note: personally i only bother with o2 with bigger beers, i like to feed my wort air from a pump for 30 to 45 minutes after pitching.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I find my active fermentation does take a little longer when using pure O2, for the above mentioned reason that more O2 = more yeast growth first, and then fermentation kicks off rather explosively.

I go no more than 60 seconds of pure O2, just enough flow to disturb the surface and cause a little foaming.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply