Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Conical/lager question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
cudaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Conical/lager question

Hello. I brewed my first lager last Sunday. I'm using a conical and was wondering if and when I should dump the yeast/trub. I'm fermenting at 50 degrees and I'm not seeing very much airlock activity. I realize lagers are slow going and was planning on at least a 3 week primary ferment. Any tips for a first timer?
Thanks.
Russ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I never used a conical, but I would imagine dumping the yeast would be the same as transferring to a secondary or "lagering tank". I do this after primary fermentation is complete and I've done a diacetyl rest, if necessary. I usually end up doing this at the 2 week mark on medium-gravity lagers.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have never made a Lager but have a conical and I can say don't wait.

I made a porter using dry yeast and had no intention of harvesting the yeast. Consequently I was in no hurry to dump it. I think 4-5 days into the ferment was the first time and it took roughly 45 mins. Much easier to tend to it every day or two.

Quick Reply