Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Conditioning: What to expect when you're expecting an Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
xxwxx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Conditioning: What to expect when you're expecting an Imperial Stout

Hey folks, I just took a reading of 1.096 and threw in the yeast for a Russian Imperial Stout. Feeling like a champ so far, but I want to make sure that it ages long enough while avoiding oxidation. Since bringing a human baby to term has a shorter turnaround, do I need to take any extra precautions with a RIS?

Special factors: In my case, standard buckets are plentiful but I have no carboy. I also want to add juniper berries for flavoring for 2 weeks.

My instinct is to ferment with the wort at a constant 66 for 3 weeks, switch buckets and condition for 3 months, add the juniper 2 weeks before bottling, and bottle condition for 6 months. Is there a better way? Should I just pony up for a 5 gal carboy and let it ride for 9 months?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
ryan_george
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes, my vote would be put it in glass (or stainless) for long-term aging.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
cbgoershel
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_george View Post
Yes, my vote would be put it in glass (or stainless) for long-term aging.
Agreed. Glass for the secondary is how I've always matured my RIS's and it has worked out well.

But do whatever works for you!

Quick Reply