Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > a complete list of breweries to harvest yeast from

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Donthoseme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default a complete list of breweries to harvest yeast from

I have been wanting to harvest yeast from a commercial beer for quite some time but one thing keeps holding me back.

BOTTLING YEAST!!

I want to compile a complete list of beers that use only one yeast strain that can be harvested from their beer as well as which breweries use yeast that can be purchased from an LHBS.

Big ones i'm looking for

Au Chouffe SAAZ Belgian Tripel IPA

Dogfish head 90 and 120

Flying dog Gonzo imperial porter

Chimay

These are a few of the main ones i'm looking for but if you know a great beer that you can get the yeast from the bottle or the store let us know!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
apparatus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You might take a look at this list.
Yeasts from Bottle Conditioned Beers

Apparatus

Old 11-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #3
bump8628
Recipes 

You can look here for which breweries the White Labs and Wyeast strains originate.
Yeast Strains

Old 11-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donthoseme View Post
I have been wanting to harvest yeast from a commercial beer for quite some time but one thing keeps holding me back.

BOTTLING YEAST!!

I want to compile a complete list of beers that use only one yeast strain that can be harvested from their beer as well as which breweries use yeast that can be purchased from an LHBS.

Big ones i'm looking for

Au Chouffe SAAZ Belgian Tripel IPA

Dogfish head 90 and 120

Flying dog Gonzo imperial porter

Chimay

These are a few of the main ones i'm looking for but if you know a great beer that you can get the yeast from the bottle or the store let us know!
I don't think you will have much luck harvesting from the DFH 90 and certainly not the 120, if they are even bottle conditioned. I have only had the 90 and I do not recall there being any yeast sediment? Beers that high of gravity are likely using a second yeast for bottling due to the fact that the primary yeast will be stressed all to hell and likely all but gone from suspension.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 11-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
SkinnyShamrock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you're anywhere near DFH's brewery, you could stop by for a tour, and ask them about their yeast. When I was there they asked if there were any homebrewers, and the couple people who were there had a 15-minute or so discussion with the guy after the tour. While I'm fairly sure they won't give you any, you might be able to weasel some details out of them...

Jeff, Brewer, Troegs Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Old 11-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
climateboy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Don't forget Bell's. I harvested yeast from Two-Hearted Ale bottles, and it is fermenting a batch happily now.

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers

"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Here is a list. A bit out dated in some cases but a start.

Yeasts from Bottle Conditioned Beers

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 11-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
kniles38
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I spoke with a head brewer at dogfish head yesterday, and she informed me that they do not use a different bottling yeast for their beers. And they use a proprietary house strain for their high alcohol beers. She encouraged me that I could harvest if I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
I don't think you will have much luck harvesting from the DFH 90 and certainly not the 120, if they are even bottle conditioned. I have only had the 90 and I do not recall there being any yeast sediment? Beers that high of gravity are likely using a second yeast for bottling due to the fact that the primary yeast will be stressed all to hell and likely all but gone from suspension.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wyeast's 3522 would work great for a Belgian IPA. Bottle harvesting is fun and all, but it's not like it's the end of the world if you get a bottling strain instead. Chimay's yeast is also available as a comparable liquid strain.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyShamrock View Post
If you're anywhere near DFH's brewery, you could stop by for a tour, and ask them about their yeast. When I was there they asked if there were any homebrewers, and the couple people who were there had a 15-minute or so discussion with the guy after the tour. While I'm fairly sure they won't give you any, you might be able to weasel some details out of them...
The happy bit about living in Northern California is being surrounded by fantastic breweries, which are fun to go to and get completely ratarsed in. I've taken the tour in several, and every time - every time - when the guy on the tour learned I was a homebrewer, I got hooked up with offers of yeast strains when I need them, empty bottles from their tasting room, and the last time I was told to call ahead when I was ready to step up in batch size, and they'd have some decommissioned kegs waiting for me.

Simply put, brewers are awesome.

Quick Reply