Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Commercial Examples of Off-flavors (especially Diacetyl)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
DiegoProf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Commercial Examples of Off-flavors (especially Diacetyl)

Hi all,

So, my attempts to refine my philistine palate continue. And in the interest of not spending $150 on this: http://www.beertown.org/education/flavor.html -- I've been looking for commercial examples of beers that clearly exemplify certain 'off' flavors.

So far I've found:
- DMS: Rolling Rock
- Acetaldehyde: Budweiser (or so I've heard - haven't tested this one yet)

Anyone have any others to add? I'd especially like a clear example of diacetyl, since I'm just getting into the lager-making biz and want to know what I'm up against!

Thanks!

-Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
Beer Weevel
Recipes 

Default Skunky

St. Pauli Girl has a skunky smell as well as taste, but is a very excellent light bodied lager.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You can create oxidation by leaving any beer at 100F for a year. Anything will skunk after an hour in the sun. Diacetyl is a little tougher, I can't think of anything other than sake were you would routinely find it. And even in sake, it isn't considered a plus.

That's kit is rather pricey. I paid $40 for the off-taste seminar at Oregon State & they had about 30 samples as well as an interesting test on bitterness.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

TCJOH has a list of off-flavors and smells and how to recreate them, some drinkable, some only for smelling. It's not too tough and you'd definitely learn a lot more by adding the ingredients all to the same beer so you can get a feel for comparative flavors.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:11 AM   #5
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Anything will skunk after an hour in the sun.
I did this with my plale ale a feew weeks ago and it didn't skunk. Maybe the winter rays of the winter sun don't have much UV left.

Kai

Old 12-30-2006, 05:23 AM   #6
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
I did this with my plale ale a few weeks ago and it didn't skunk. Maybe the winter rays of the winter sun don't have much UV left.

Kai
Brown glass prevents it, even clear helps alot, so if you did it inside of a double paned window, in the brown bottle, it ain't gonna happen.

Plus, Miller uses a hop extract that won't skunk, so they get away with clear bottles. I don't know if an extract recipe made with 'hopped extract' is immune to skunking.

Plus, it's not so much the UV that skunks beer- any glass blocks UV. But only brown blocks the blue light. Here's a link to one guys study: http://realbeer.com/spencer/bottle.gif

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Quick Reply