Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold Crashing - When and What Temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
jerryalan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold Crashing - When and What Temp?

I have an IPA that's been in the primary for two weeks. I've been fermenting in the primary for three weeks and then cold crashing for one week prior to kegging and serving. However, after two weeks my fermentation is complete. Is it time to do the cold crash now or should I wait another week? If I wait the extra week, what does that do for my beer?

Regarding temp, I currently have a pale ale on tap in the fridge where I cold crash. I understand that the cold crash should occur as close to 32 as possible but I think that will be too cold for serving the pale ale. Should I do the CC at serving temp but for a longer duration or does it need to be close to freezing to be effective?

Thanks!

Tapped - IPA
Tapped - Dunkelweizen
Tapped - Air
Bottled - Robust Coffee Porter
Fermenting - Blonde Ale
On Deck - Not sure yet
Current Project - Electric Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

temps above 32 work fine for cold crashing, so i wouldn't worry about lowering serving temps that far just to cold crash.

as far as the IPA goes, if you had a nice, fairly quick, healthy fermentation, i don't see much problem with crashing after two weeks. i rarely leave beers in primary longer than that, but i am anal about ensuring the best possible conditions for a healthy, quick starting fermentation. it's usually done with the bulk of the work in 4-5 days, then i will leave it to clean up and condition a bit for the next 10 days or so. of course there are exceptions with higher ABV beers and such, but 14 days is usually good. that's not to say it tastes great right away in the keg, i usually let it cold condition while carbing for a few weeks to get the beer in its prime.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 12-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
jmhart
Recipes 

I crash at just under 40F for 48 hours or so. Usually after two or three seeks of fermentation...basically whenever hydrometer reading is constant plus 3-5 days plus whenever I have time to move stuff around.

Quick Reply