The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold Crashing Temp. vs. Storage Temp.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
johnodon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Default Cold Crashing Temp. vs. Storage Temp.

So here is my dilemma…

My keezer has 5 taps and I like to have 2 or 3 kegs waiting on-deck. I have just recently discovered the benefits of cold crashing. Is it a bad idea to cold crash a beer @ 40F and force carb and store it at 68F - 70F (since I don’t have any room in my keezer and no other means to keep it cool)?

I know temp fluctuation is bad for other liquids (especially milk) but didn’t know if the same rules apply to beer/alcohol.

TIA!

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
TheSlash
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Why not just rack it to the keg, hit it with co2 , purge, hit with more c02 and set it aside at 68-70f until you want to use it, then put it in the keezer?

You could force carb by shaking for 5 minutes if you wanted it ready and cold in a day.

Edit, I always cold crash my fermenter to settle out before racking.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

As long as you're storing your beer at room temp in a keg, you might as well naturally carbonate. In addition to the advantage of the beer being ready to serve as soon as you get it cold, active yeast in the keg will scavenge oxygen, reduce diacetyl, and metabolize acetaldehyde.

If you like hop character in your beer, you can even do something like a hop tea gyle.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
TheSlash
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
As long as you're storing your beer at room temp in a keg, you might as well naturally carbonate. In addition to the advantage of the beer being ready to serve as soon as you get it cold, active yeast in the keg will scavenge oxygen, reduce diacetyl, and metabolize acetaldehyde.

If you like hop character in your beer, you can even do something like a hop tea gyle.
I almost suggested natural carbing, but us kegging guys normally try to avoid yeast in our finished product. In this case it is a great idea.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
johnodon
Recipes 

But is there any concern about going form 40F (cold crash) to 70F (storage) and eventually back down to 37F (tapped)?

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
TheSlash
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

But why the cold crash? I figured cold crash was always to settle and clear the beer...? I personally wouldn't warm it up after carbing, but can't say what it would do. Probably nothing as beer tastes fine from storeroom floor to cooler.

Actually curious on this myself now... I pulled a keg a while ago that was on tap for a bit cuz it wasn't great, it has been sitting for a couple weeks, wondering if I could chill it and use again... mmmm seems far fetched.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlash View Post
But why the cold crash? I figured cold crash was always to settle and clear the beer...? I personally wouldn't warm it up after carbing, but can't say what it would do. Probably nothing as beer tastes fine from storeroom floor to cooler.

Actually curious on this myself now... I pulled a keg a while ago that was on tap for a bit cuz it wasn't great, it has been sitting for a couple weeks, wondering if I could chill it and use again... mmmm seems far fetched.
As long as you were serving it using CO2, that really isn't much different from your "storeroom floor to cooler" statement...

Cheers!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I've really not seen a lot of difference in clarity with my naturally carbonated kegs. My very clearest beer ever was a naturally carbonated keg of Tripel, in fact.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
johnodon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
I've really not seen a lot of difference in clarity with my naturally carbonated kegs.
I have definitely seen a MAJOR difference in clarity after cold crashing though. I wish I would have known about it sooner!

I'm still not clear going from cold to warm and back to cold is a bad thing though so I am going to be a little clearer about my proposed process.

I will cold crash the beer @ 40F for 2 or 3 days.

I will then rack to a keg.

I will force carb @ room temperature for ~3 days @ 68F.

I will then let the keg sit @ room temperature until I have an open tap (anywhere from a week to 3 months out).

I will then tap it @ 38F.

So, as you can see, the beer is going cold (cold crash) to warm (force carb and storage) and back to cold (tapped). I know going from cold to warm and back to cold with foods and liquids is usually a bad idea but I didn't know if that applies to beer that is fully carbed and in an airtight container.

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Agree with everything John says. The only difference in my routine is that I try to cold crash in the low 30's.

Quick Reply