Cold crashing and suck back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I now have a keg fridge that can be used as a ferm chamber. I also have a big APA that needs to be racked or kegged. I'd like to cold crash it but I'm concerned with the whole suck back issue. What is the work around? Should I just keg it and bleed the yeast in a few days?

two simple options

1. use a S type airlock, you wont get suckback unless you have it filled to the brim.

2. remove bung and replace with tin foil.

You can usually fill the 3-piece airlocks with a minimal amount of water, so that when it sucks back it pulls in air but not water. I think all you do is press down the floater, add water until there's a seal, then put on the cap. It won't dribble water back in.

If you are using a carboy, ditch the airlock and use a sanitized piece of aluminium foil. You now have beer with alcohol in it. The need to worry about nasties is minimalized. If you have a bucket, maybe you can just use a piece over the grommet.

Another vote for Tin Foil. Thats all I have ever used for cold crashing. Just crimp it on tight so it won't fall off. No need for an airlock after fermentation is done.

Dang it... I should have known better. Got a little 3 week old starsan and yeast filled airlock water sucked back into my primary when I threw it in the fridge. Guess those buckets do get a good seal. Hope nothing bad comes of it.

Latest posts

Back