Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold Crashing: How to prevent fluid / air from Contaminating?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
johnnybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Default Cold Crashing: How to prevent fluid / air from Contaminating?

I want to cold crash an ale that will have been in the primary for almost four weeks. I know that the change in temp will have a corresponding change in pressure within my carboy, potentially sucking any vodka from my airlock back into the carboy. Is there any way to prevent any fluid or air getting pulled back in? Or if not, what is the best method to ensure I don't introduce any unwanted contaminators? Thanks.

See my Corny Keg Chilling Insulator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrew View Post
I want to cold crash an ale that will have been in the primary for almost four weeks. I know that the change in temp will have a corresponding change in pressure within my carboy, potentially sucking any vodka from my airlock back into the carboy. Is there any way to prevent any fluid or air getting pulled back in? Or if not, what is the best method to ensure I don't introduce any unwanted contaminators? Thanks.
I wouldn't worry about it, but if you feel like worrying about it, Bobby did a great brainstorm session over here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/tem...nstorm-152658/

Old 06-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
johnnybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
...what is the best method to ensure I don't introduce any unwanted contaminators?
Maybe I am answering my own Q... I use three piece airlocks. I guess if I used the single piece for the cold crash it would bubble in reverse? Would that do the trick? It is still going to suck air through the fluid chamber. Will it get cleaned up by going through my vodka?

See my Corny Keg Chilling Insulator

Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Maybe I am answering my own Q... I use three piece airlocks. I guess if I used the single piece for the cold crash it would bubble in reverse? Would that do the trick? It is still going to suck air through the fluid chamber. Will it get cleaned up by going through my vodka?
Well, I will answer more fully.

Since the suckback happens so late in the process, there is a nice pocket of CO2 waiting for your unsuspecting sucked in air when it gets in your fermenter. It will continue to blanket the beer while the air waits on top. They will diffuse eventually, but slowly (so dont cold crash for several weeks).

Oh, and nothing bad can live in the vodka.

Quick Reply