Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold crashing fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuff7129 View Post
Aren't you cold crashing when you put your bottles in the fridge?
If you leave them in there for 3+ days before drinking, that serves as a cold crash of the yeast that has been there carbonating the brew.

The nice thing about doing it in the fermenter is that you gain an opportunity to leave more of the initial trub behind so that it never makes it into the bottles or keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
unclevername
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd

If you leave them in there for 3+ days before drinking, that serves as a cold crash of the yeast that has been there carbonating the brew.

The nice thing about doing it in the fermenter is that you gain an opportunity to leave more of the initial trub behind so that it never makes it into the bottles or keg.
Exactly what I found to be true. I found it much easier to transfer the wort and leave the trub behind. The trub was just heavier, for lack of a better way to explain it. The wort was cleaner as such I expect there to be less sentiment in the bottles.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
tpitman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolaPete View Post
It sounds like they are just cold crashing, right?

Next time you're in O-town check out http://www.urbansunshine.com. They sell gardening and homebrewing supplies and give out samples of their homebrew at some of their locations. The Altamonte location has more brewing stuff than the other locations.
Didn't know there was anyone else in Orlando besides Hearts. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #14
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpitman View Post
Didn't know there was anyone else in Orlando besides Hearts. Thanks for the info.
There's also the home brew store on the Narcoossee St. Cloud line just north of 17/192. Waaaaay friendlier than Heart's, not that that's saying much!!! Where are you located?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
tpitman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

College Park, off Princeton and I-4

Heart's is convenient to me, to say the least, and for their size they've got a lot of stuff, but I'll admit they're not falling all over themselves to make you feel at home.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I have cold crashed before but don't do it consistently. It for sure helps get the yeast out of suspension. As for the vaccume problem I did have some issues with that but then I went to my LHBS and got a stopper without a hole in it and problem solved. It does vaccume but the stopper prevents anything from getting in.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
PistolaPete
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
There's also the home brew store on the Narcoossee St. Cloud line just north of 17/192. Waaaaay friendlier than Heart's, not that that's saying much!!! Where are you located?
Demus, If you are referring to Urban Sunshine there are 4 locations, although the Altamonte Springs location has the most brewing supplies. They can usually get whatever you need to any location quickly.

http://www.urbansunshine.com/content...tore-locations

"making alcohol is easy....making it taste good, well that's were the real challenge is!" -Glibbidy

Quick Reply