New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold crashing fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
unclevername
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Cold crashing fermentation

I took a tour of Orlando Brewery this week and learned some interesting things. Orlando brewery is a micro brewery that makes organic beer and some of the best I have tasted. Those guys are really good.

One thing I found particularly interesting is at the end of fermentation they drop the temperature 10 degrees a day until they get to 38 degrees. They believe that slowly dropping the temp to 38 will encourage flocculation and clear the beer up quicker. Anyone else use a technique? I am about to bottle an IPA and am going to give it a try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've done it, careful tho, as it cools negative pressure will build and suck either air or worse, whatever liquid you have in your airlock/blowoff into your beer. In my opinion, this practice doesn't help much on the Homebrew level. Unless you have a way to make sure air or liquid doesn't get sucked into your brew, you could do way more harm than good...

I've been to Orlando brewing as well, nice folks and decent brew...

Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
unclevername
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Great point, I had not even considered creating a vacuum in the chamber. I will take care not to allow contamination.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Cposten
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I actually just did this with a cider I made. First time I've ever done it but the cider is clear as heck (normally really Hazey for a couple weeks) I only did 5F a day and down to 35F. "Lagering" it around there for a couple weeks now. Long story short, worked great for cider.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
unclevername
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Okay, I did this to my IPA that has been on the secondary and I noticed a significant difference. The beer was very clear. And when I moved it from the fermentation chamber to the table I put it on for bottling, it got "stir'd up" a little as it always does, but it settled out quickly. When I siphoned it off into my bottling bucket and got down to the bottom, I was able to set the siphon right down on the yeast cake and it hardly moved. This was a significant improvement for me.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
cosmo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
I've done it, careful tho, as it cools negative pressure will build and suck either air or worse, whatever liquid you have in your airlock/blowoff into your beer. In my opinion, this practice doesn't help much on the Homebrew level. Unless you have a way to make sure air or liquid doesn't get sucked into your brew, you could do way more harm than good...

I've been to Orlando brewing as well, nice folks and decent brew...
You're absolutely right. It's best to transfer to a keg or secondary (with little headspace) before cold crashing. Otherwise you could pull in a lot of air and oxidise your beer. Sanitizer I'm not quite as woried about. I sometimes cold crash in a keg, then transfer directly to another keg that's flushed with CO2.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
PistolaPete
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It sounds like they are just cold crashing, right?

Next time you're in O-town check out http://www.urbansunshine.com. They sell gardening and homebrewing supplies and give out samples of their homebrew at some of their locations. The Altamonte location has more brewing stuff than the other locations.

"making alcohol is easy....making it taste good, well that's were the real challenge is!" -Glibbidy

Old 07-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 498

I cold crash my beers in the primary bucket as fast as it takes for the 5.2-ish gallons of liquid to hit 35*F after I put it in my cold crash freezer (with STC-1000 set at that temp). I leave them there 4-6 days before kegging/bottling.

There's StarSan in my s-airlocks, but haven't ever had any get sucked back hard enough to make it go into the bucket.

It works quite well. I don't secondary yet my beers come out nice and clear. Cold crashing also helps to compact and firm up the yeast trub so that it has less of a tendency to get drawn into the autosiphon.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Cold crashing is pretty standard practice, even among homebrewers.

I have the ability to completely seal my fermentor before cold crashing so I don't worry too much about suckback or O2.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Aren't you cold crashing when you put your bottles in the fridge?

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Quick Reply