The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold crashing in the bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
scopey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold crashing in the bottle

Well my very 1st batch (IPA) turned out ok, I suppose. Drinkable for sure, and I think doing a full boil was a good thing. I learned a lot by my many small mistakes...

One of the mistakes was forgetting to add the Whirlfoc to the boil (actually I have something called Koppakleer, a similar fining agent). Then while transferring to the secondary I sucked up a bit too much yeast and junk from the trub.

The result was quite a lot of "stuff" in the bottles that after a month still hasn't settled out. Quite by accident one day I froze a couple bottles in the freezer (impatient me...) Miraculously after the beer thawed it poured almost 100% clear! The difference really is quite amazing. The quality is improved--taste is better, and the carbonation didn't suffer (this beer was just slightly under-carbonated, so I wasn't worried about blowups in the freezer).

I searched a bit on this forum but didn't find mention of this "technique", only cold crashing wrt kegs and such. Anyone else had this experience? Or care to try it out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Once your beer is carbonated then putting them in the fridge for an extended period will be just fine and allow the yeast to compact and settle on bottom of the bottle.

Gary

Old 04-29-2009, 04:10 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The purpose of cold crashing is to take a lot of the yeast out of suspension and NOT put it into the bottles...

Old 04-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
scopey
Recipes 

Ok, I understand that the ginormity of what I've discovered isn't easily understood at first. So I'll lay it out for all y'all:

1) My freezer is a time machine. I don't need to wait for months while the yeast settles out in the bottles in the fridge.

2) This discovery has redefined the meaning of "cold crashing" as it's commonly known.

2.5) Oh yeah, let's not forget: the beer was better after having been frozen.

3) This may lead to future developments in homebrewing. I can almost imagine it now: RDWCCIF (Relax Don't Worry, Cold Crash In Freezer)

Seriously

What do the mega brewers mean by "cold-filtered" anyway?? Isn't Miller "cold-filtered"? Is that why everyone hates it?

Last edited by scopey; 05-01-2009 at 02:53 AM.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
Beerzoid
Recipes 

In my experience it only takes a couple days in the fridge for all the stuff to settle to the bottom of the bottles.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could always cold crash the primary or secondary (whichever you do) and that way your not getting all that crap into the bottles.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Freezing is a form of zone purification. When ice forms, it tends to exclude other materials. So when it thaws, it will be purer than originally. Melt water from sea ice has a low enough salt content to drink safely.

On the other hand, ice and bottles don't play well. I'd say you got lucky.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

x2 I have also done the same you have done (freezing, thawing, drinking CLEAR beer) with great results; however I have also lost 3 .5L swingtop german bottles when I forgot they were in the freezer- broken glass and beer slurpee all in the freezer!

Not worth it IMO.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 04-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
ericm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
On the other hand, ice and bottles don't play well. I'd say you got lucky.
what he said!

that your bottles are slightly undercarbed doesn't mean that you don't have to worry about bottles breaking when frozen (carbonation has nothing to do with that, it's all about liquid expansion)

Old 04-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't freeze my bottles, but I do put them in a freezer that I use for lagering and let them sit there for a week or two. This causes any chill haze to form and drop out, usually don't have a problem with yeast dropping out. I just end up with nice, very clear beer, by chilling the bottles for a week or two before drinking.

Quick Reply