Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold Crashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
seckert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarter View Post
I'm absolutely amazed with the difference. I cold crashed 2 beers recently.... the first time I've done this. I also added geletin to the kegs - again... first time. The beer is crystal clear... and I mean CRYSTAL clear. I've never had a truely clear beer before these 2. This is a process added from this point forward. I think I'll rack to secondary, add geletin, and cold crash in a carboy though to shorten the process. Once clear, I'll bottle for friends and keg the rest.
Try cold crashing without using the gelatin and I bet you will be just as happy with the results. I have stopped adding irish moss and using gelatin and I have not noticed any difference. I don't do a secondary either unless I am racking on top of something. Still comes out crystal clear. Just a thought since you can save some $ and time if you eliminate some of that stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #22
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 80

So much advice. So many different "experts" giving advice. It makes your head spin sometimes. Folks even argue their point.... Angrily at times.

Thanks for the info though. I will say that using whirlfloc during the boil, cold crashing with geletin for 48+ hours, produces very... VERY clear beer. Could be that your process works very well, but this one I've seen work with extremely clear beer. I'll probably stick with this one for the time being. Not to say that I won't try your method later.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #23
MorrisBrewingCo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Get 10 homebrewers in a room and you'll get 20 answers.

Keg 3: Strong West Coast IPA
Planning for the Spring:
Fermenter 1: Strong Scotch Ale
Fermenter 2: Empty
Fermenter 3: Empty
Newsman Likes This 
Old 12-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #24
seckert
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarter View Post
So much advice. So many different "experts" giving advice. It makes your head spin sometimes. Folks even argue their point.... Angrily at times.

Thanks for the info though. I will say that using whirlfloc during the boil, cold crashing with geletin for 48+ hours, produces very... VERY clear beer. Could be that your process works very well, but this one I've seen work with extremely clear beer. I'll probably stick with this one for the time being. Not to say that I won't try your method later.
hey...best way to do it is the way you like to do it. sometimes i have tried something someone suggested and afterwards decided never again will i do it that way. Or on the flip side sometimes i have tried something and been really impressed. As long as you are having fun homebrewing and enjoy your beer thats all that matters!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #25
bigsmooth311
Recipes 

Has anyone experienced any negatives from cold crashing? I'm very green in this hobby (lifestyle a better term?) and I enjoy all the insight this community provides!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #26
seckert
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmooth311 View Post
Has anyone experienced any negatives from cold crashing? I'm very green in this hobby (lifestyle a better term?) and I enjoy all the insight this community provides!
sometimes I forget to cold crash it on time and when I do realize it, I have to wait the 2-3 days until I can keg it. That's the only one I can think of...

Old 12-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #27
jedheuer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmooth311 View Post
Oxidation is a problem that can happen. The cold beer and air take up less space in the carboy and there is a significant amount of air pulled into the fermentor.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #28
seckert
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedheuer View Post
Oxidation is a problem that can happen. The cold beer and air take up less space in the carboy and there is a significant amount of air pulled into the fermentor.
The CO2 that was in the fermentor before this should protect the beer from this as CO2 is heavier than air. so even if the air is sucked in there will be a barrier of CO2...unless I am missing something it should work like that anyway...

Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #29
bigsmooth311
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckert
The CO2 that was in the fermentor before this should protect the beer from this as CO2 is heavier than air. so even if the air is sucked in there will be a barrier of CO2...unless I am missing something it should work like that anyway...
I could see this as an issue in my particular circumstance. I currently brew 2.5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon setup. Perhaps the extra head space could allow oxidation or at the very least be more apt to in this instance?

Old 12-11-2013, 03:13 AM   #30
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 643 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckert View Post
...unless I am missing something it should work like that anyway...
I'd try looking under the cushion of the couch. You're definitely missing something.

Quick Reply