Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold Crashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
MorrisBrewingCo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

My problem with cold crashing is that the point is too settle the yeast in a low temp which I get but for me, and I assume much others, I have to move the carboy out of the fridge to keg so I feel as if I'm shaking the yeast up again in to the beer. Any suggestions?

Keg 3: Strong West Coast IPA
Planning for the Spring:
Fermenter 1: Strong Scotch Ale
Fermenter 2: Empty
Fermenter 3: Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
BPal75
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

If you leave it in the fridge for at least 2-3 days, the yeast cake will compact pretty tightly in my experience. If you are fairly gentle with moving the carbon out and getting it set for racking, you shouldn't stir up too much of the cake, if any. The longer you can cold crash, the tighter the cake.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I cold crash for a couple days, then when i do move it out of the keezer i put it on counter and let it settle while i sanatize my keg and equipment. since it is still cold it will settle back down fairly quick. never have issues and my beers come out clearer than ones i have had where people use gelitin or irish moss. since i started cold crashing all my beers i dont use either of those and my beers come out crystal clear...

Old 12-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
ted464
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Does cold crashing negatively effect bottling/carbing up? Is there anything I need to account for? I bottle with table sugar. I have a cream ale in a new temp controlled fridge and I was thinking of cold crashing for the first time.

"Death created time to grow the things it would kill."
-Rust Cohle

Old 12-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I dont think it has any effect on bottling or carbing...of course it wont start to carb until the beer warms up enough for the yeast to wake up and eat the priming sugar. Make sure you give it the full 2 weeks min though since there will probably be less yeast left in beer to carb. i have also found that you will have less gunk on bottom of bottle when you cold crash first too since all the other crap in your beer will settle out and what is left is very fine yeast. I think cold crashing is a very simple and easy technique to clear your beers with little to no effort. i am a fan of it!

Old 12-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
ted464
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckert
I dont think it has any effect on bottling or carbing...of course it wont start to carb until the beer warms up enough for the yeast to wake up and eat the priming sugar. Make sure you give it the full 2 weeks min though since there will probably be less yeast left in beer to carb. i have also found that you will have less gunk on bottom of bottle when you cold crash first too since all the other crap in your beer will settle out and what is left is very fine yeast. I think cold crashing is a very simple and easy technique to clear your beers with little to no effort. i am a fan of it!
ok thanks for the response.

"Death created time to grow the things it would kill."
-Rust Cohle

Old 12-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted464 View Post
Does cold crashing negatively effect bottling/carbing up? Is there anything I need to account for? I bottle with table sugar. I have a cream ale in a new temp controlled fridge and I was thinking of cold crashing for the first time.
I've observed no negative effect at all on bottle carbing. I cold crash mine for 5-7 days at 35-36*F and prime/bottle it cold. When I move the bucket out of cold crash, I do so carefully and carry out the transfer to the bottling bucket within a few feet of the lager/crash chamber.

Another useful benefit of cold crashing is that there will be less yeast trub in the bottom of each bottle when it comes time to pour.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #18
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I'm absolutely amazed with the difference. I cold crashed 2 beers recently.... the first time I've done this. I also added geletin to the kegs - again... first time. The beer is crystal clear... and I mean CRYSTAL clear. I've never had a truely clear beer before these 2. This is a process added from this point forward. I think I'll rack to secondary, add geletin, and cold crash in a carboy though to shorten the process. Once clear, I'll bottle for friends and keg the rest.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #19
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
I have had success with cold crashing for only about 24 hours.

Curious, why remove the airlock? I have never done that.
I left the airlock on and didn't have any problems. No suck-back at all. That's a problem with reading too many posts on HBT. We read and begin to over think things I suppose. Good advice, but maybe too much of it sometimes.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarter View Post
I left the airlock on and didn't have any problems. No suck-back at all. That's a problem with reading too many posts on HBT. We read and begin to over think things I suppose. Good advice, but maybe too much of it sometimes.
It's not an issue if you use an S airlock (aka, "double bubble") and put Star San in it.

Quick Reply