New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold crash suckage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Carlscan26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FermentNEthinG
I like to use my better bottles when I cold crash because I have the "dry taps". They are a positive pressure only, waterless air lock. No suck back ever. They cost an arm and a leg but they are worth it.
Now see - this may be the final straw for why I'll *have* to get some new carboys with ports and all the fittings lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
cuda6pak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why not just use a 1-way liquid/gas check valve in line with the blow off tube? You can get some on US Plastic for just a few bucks. I suppose they could possibly get clogged up if a bunch of particle matter gets shoved up through there. But at worst it's something cheap to hook up to your 3 piece air lock or tube after fermentation is done and you want to cold crash.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
Randy_Bugger
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I use an S type airlock for cold crashes and don't get any sanitizer in the beer.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
n240sxguy

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts

I may have to get a couple of those type of air locks. I have the three piece type. I just kegged a batch this morning that I cold crashed. I don't know if it sucked anything back or not. I had rum in mine, so either way it's a win.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
Carlscan26

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Does the height of the blow off container make any difference? For instance if mine had been lower than where mine is at would this not have happened?

FYI - my beer tastes great, got a lot of compliments on it this weekend. So either I had less suckage than I thought and/or I was able to siphon cleanly enough.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Spartan1979

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Bugger View Post
I use an S type airlock for cold crashes and don't get any sanitizer in the beer.

This is what I do, but these can suck back too. When you use these, you don't need much more water than what it takes to cover the lower "u." The more you put in it, the more likely it is to suck back.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #17
DrunkenNightsPodcast
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Bugger
Correct me if I'm wrong, but an airlock is a two way street. Under even pressure levels oxygen couldn't push it's way through the airlock and into your beer, but if a vacuum is created within the carboy, as a result of a decrease in temperature, it would certainly suck oxygen into the carboy. Even if you still have sanitizer in your airlock after cold crashing oxygen could still have come through the solution and into your carboy.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #18
n240sxguy

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenNightsPodcast

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an airlock is a two way street. Under even pressure levels oxygen couldn't push it's way through the airlock and into your beer, but if a vacuum is created within the carboy, as a result of a decrease in temperature, it would certainly suck oxygen into the carboy. Even if you still have sanitizer in your airlock after cold crashing oxygen could still have come through the solution and into your carboy.
I would say yes, oxygen could get pulled into your fermenter. I would believe the blanket of co2 already in there would mitigate that risk though. Sanitizer getting in there is another story.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #19
worksnorth
Worksnorth

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlscan26

FYI - my beer tastes great, got a lot of compliments on it this weekend. So either I had less suckage than I thought and/or I was able to siphon cleanly enough.
Or...... perhaps Starsan should be part of the ingredients for this recipe!!!??? :-)
Old 07-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

An S-Airlock wit vodka is great for cold crashing.

I've had a similar issue with cooling wort in a fermenation chamber before pitching yeast using a 1" blowoff tube. To solve this I've marked a canning jar the the height to fill it with starsan that doesn't fill the 1" tube more than about 18" tall. If the starsan gets pulled up by vacuum, the vacuum will break before starsan gets high in the tube. The downside to this is that you blowoff container is small and I put it inside a small bucket to contain a blowoff mess - pretty rare...

Quick Reply