The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
furlow008
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold conditioning

I was reading the thread yesterday about the Scottish ale and cold conditioning it for 6 wks to 3 months, so here is my question: I just made a batch of scottish ale 2 weeks ago. I hadn't planned on racking to a secondary, I was just gonna let it sit in the primary until bottling time (4 weeks or so). Would it be beneficial to drop the temp down to cold crash it for the rest of the time? Would it make a difference? Or should I rack to secondary if I want to do it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow! I was coming on to ask if storing beer in the fridge would halt "conditioning".

I know it will lager (sort of) but will it mature?

Not meaning to jack the thread, I think the questions are closely related.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Last edited by cheezydemon; 07-12-2008 at 12:36 AM.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #3
Maine Homebrewer
Recipes 

My habit as of late has been to do the primary fermentation on the ground floor, 70 degrees or so, then move the secondary downstairs so the wife has one less thing to complain about (stupid buckets are ugly!).
The basement is 55-60 depending on the season, and I've noticed that the brews take longer (if ever) to clear.
I'm all ale here, no lagers, so working with fully modified grain I'm confident that I'm looking at yeast instead of protein haze.

To answer the original question I'd say go to the secondary as soon as fermentation has appeared to stop, keep it at a yeast happy temperature to allow what's left to eat what's left to eat what's left, and then when it has reached an acceptable clarity consider aging.

Lager is aged because of protein haze, ale is traditionally a fresh product.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
newell456
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

In general, an ale that has finished fermenting can benefit from cold conditioning. For one, it helps the drop suspended particles and yeast to make a clearer beer. IMHO, it helps to clear a beer much better than adding finings like gelatin or anything else. This might not be beneficial if you are making a wheat beer that benefits from some yeast suspension. It also improves the taste and quality. I'm not sure how, but a keg or bottles that have been in the fridge longer improve significantly. Cold conditioning may help with esters, but it won't help remove diacetyl.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:01 AM   #5
furlow008
Recipes 

"Wow! I was coming on to ask if storing beer in the fridge would halt "conditioning".

I had the same wonders, but never asked. Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited by furlow008; 07-12-2008 at 02:03 AM.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:13 AM   #6
newell456
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by furlow008 View Post
"Wow! I was coming on to ask if storing beer in the fridge would halt "conditioning".

I had the same wonders, but never asked. Thanks for reminding me.
If you're bottle conditioning, you'll need some time near ale fermenting temperatures, or it will take longer to carbonate. Once they are carbonated, the cold conditioning will help.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My current example is a fairly strong, roasty stout. I wanted to age it for a while, and I would just as soon do so in my beer fridge ( I have plenty of space) No off flavors to get rid of at this point, I just wouldn't mind if the roastyness mellowed a little.

It would be interesting to know what difference cold/warm conditioning makes. I guess it is up to me to 1/2 one way and 1/2 the other.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 07-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
jay075j
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I would say that the best way to answer this question is to say that as long as they yeast has done all of their work you can cold crash it. Give the yeast time to finish fermentation, clean-up after themselves, and bottle condition if needed. And for as long as you want the yeast to work, you have to keep them at the appropriate temperature for their strain.

Once the yeast is finished, you can chill anything.

Jay

"All right, brain, I don't like you, and you don't like me, so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

jay075j,
That was a very good answer to this question. I could not have said it better myself.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 AM   #10
Maine Homebrewer
Recipes 

jay075j,
So I'm guessing that my problem is that when I move the stuff to the basement after racking (so the wife will quit bitching about it taking up space), that there is still some work to be done by the yeast.
But since I'm moving it to below optimal temperatures that I should not be surprised that the stuff stays cloudy with yeast.
We're moving anyway, just another reason to get a larger home with a dedicated "brew-room" in addition to a full basement, so I can put the stuff out of her sight, out of her mind, and in the proper environment to do the entire job properly.

Thinking about it I've never had a draw from a keg that was as clear as pouring from a bottle of homebrew unless it was from the last gallon or so.

Should I shorten my draw tube?

Quick Reply