Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold Conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
jeetaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cold Conditioning

Hey everyone. I'm new to home brewing and this is my first time posting on this site. Can anyone help me out with how to cold condition a Belgian Dubbel?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
saazall
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are many ways to do this, but for my .02 I cold condition in secondary ferment for 60+ days at cellar (55F) or cooler. I then bottle with yeast, do a 2 week conditioning at 75F to carbonate then lay the bottles down (figuratively) for a few weeks to months at cellar temp. Gets better with time.

SaazAll

Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Black
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I put my secondary carboy in the fridge at around 37F for 2 weeks, then keg and/or bottle. It helps clear the beer and I find it improves the taste too. After that, the beer is all clear.

Cheers !

-edited for spelling

Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

With ales there really is not such thing as "cold conditioning." Conditioning relies on yeast activity to a great extent. Ale yeast operates in a pretty warm temp range from the low 50's to the 90's (for some yeasts like Saison.) When you get cooler than a yeasts lowest temps, the yeast, quite frankly, goes to sleep.....if you're asleep do you accomplish anything? Neither do the yeasts. They go dormant, and the beer doesn't "condition." In fact it just sits there, and ages with little or no change.

All cooling off ale yeast does is let it fall out of suspension...we cold crash to CLEAR our beers. But the flavors don't get altered...just that the beer gets less yeasty tasting...

Lagering is cold conditioning, and that obviously is with a lager yeast....that is active in cold conditions.

What are you trying to accomplish with your beer? If you want the flavors to come together, then leave the beer at room temps til you're happy with the flavor.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
jeetaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm just new to the process and so I'm just trying to figure things out. So cold crashing is basically for clarity? Do you need to re-pitch yeast to bottle it if you drop the yeast out of suspension?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaman View Post
I'm just new to the process and so I'm just trying to figure things out. So cold crashing is basically for clarity? Do you need to re-pitch yeast to bottle it if you drop the yeast out of suspension?
Some do some don't. Depends on the gravity and how patient you are. I usually re-yeast my beers which are north of 1.060... which is what I normally brew...

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaman View Post
THere's still enough yeast to carbonate beer even with cold crashing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
Upthewazzu
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
THere's still enough yeast to carbonate beer even with cold crashing.
Appreciate this. I have a Kolsch cold conditioning for 2 weeks @ 45° and I was wondering the same thing.

Kegged: Palouse Wheat
Kegged: Cougar Kolsch
Bottled: Stink Bug IPA
Bottled: Permafrost White IPA

Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
jeetaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How long/cold do you crash a Belgian Dubbel? Generally/preferentially speaking

Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
KeystoneHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As close to freezing as you can get (but don't let it freeze) for two weeks is good. 4 weeks is better!

Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

Quick Reply