Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cold condition keg prior to serving warm from jockey box?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
heavyfeet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold condition keg prior to serving warm from jockey box?

I am taking kegs camping. They are carbing at room temp right now. I am thinking of putting them in the kegerator for a day or two to enhance flavor. I don't care too much about clarity. Is this idea a waste of time and effort? They will ultimately be warmed back up and then served from a jockey box when I go camping. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

A day or two really isn't going to do anything unless you fine the beer. I know you said you don't care about clarity, but stirring up yeast when transporting a keg is a real problem that affects flavor. I would gelatin the beer now, crash it for 2-3 days, and then jump the sparkly beer over to an empty keg. I do this whenever I transport kegs. If you don't want to fine the beer, I would still crash the keg and jump the beer to a new keg to avoid most of the sediment at the bottom.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Dr_Jeff Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
heavyfeet
Recipes 

Thanks for posting. I should clarify, pun intended. As a brewer I do care about clarity. For this purpose, camping and drinking from red solo cups, nobody is going to notice except me.

I have three kegs of light hybrid from the same batch. After sitting weeks at room temp I tapped each and blew out a few ounces of what had settled. I placed one keg in the kegerator and left the other two at room temp. I may as well experiment and compare taste and clarity of the chilled versus un chilled kegs since I can, right?

Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Well, sure, but I doubt you'll see much difference. I just mean that there's plenty more sediment at the bottom of those kegs that will get stirred up when you move them, you've just cleared the area around the dip tube. I don't like yeasty beer, so when transporting I always jump brite beer into a fresh keg. Just sitting in my house, I don't because it doesn't matter, they're not getting jostled.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply