Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Coffee in no-chill cube?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Coffee in no-chill cube?

Anyone tried adding coffee to your wort in the no-chill cube? I think adding beans would over-extract them, but how about adding either hot- or cold-brewed coffee directly to the cube? I would think it would allow the hot wort to sterilize cold-brewed coffee.

Thoughts?

On-Deck: Quad; Oktoberfest; Mild

Primary: Mosaic pilsner; Saison Americaine; Tripel

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've never used a no chill cube, but I do brew a lot with coffee. I tend to cold extract and just add it to the keg, but in the past when I was bottling I'd do a cold extraction and just add it to the fermenter without doing anything special (other than boiling the water I used for the extraction before using it). So I think you'd be fine just dumping it in.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When adding cold-brewed coffee did you ever have any contamination issues? I know you sanitize everything beforehand, but if you're steeping in the fridge overnight, it just doesn't seem like the most sterile environment. Have you ever added cold-brewed coffee into your kettle, say at the end of the boil? Just curious what heating cold-brewed coffee would do to it.

On-Deck: Quad; Oktoberfest; Mild

Primary: Mosaic pilsner; Saison Americaine; Tripel

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Quick Reply