Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 81 11.33%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.80%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.56%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 533 74.55%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 77 10.77%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #981
storunner13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

2 notes/questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
I am under the understanding after my experiments that it is better to vent the majority of the CO2 during fermentation
Does this mean you ferment at 0 psi, and then close it off at the end to carbonate? Or do you still ferment at 5-7 psi (at least for APAs)? Since you have a lot of experience, I'm more curious for my own knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
I don't think wines yeasts like pressure.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of a pressure ferment to mimic the hydrostatic pressure found in large-scale breweries? And therefore fermenting wine under pressure (5ish psi) would be similar to the hydro static pressure in the fermenting vessels of large wineries?

I've also been planning on using the pressure fermentation technique on some cider and/or graff this fall. Maybe I should try both a pressure ferment and a regular ferment...for science!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #982
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by storunner13 View Post
2 notes/questions:

Does this mean you ferment at 0 psi, and then close it off at the end to carbonate? Or do you still ferment at 5-7 psi (at least for APAs)? Since you have a lot of experience, I'm more curious for my own knowledge.
No, I ferment at 5-7psi. At this pressure it is blowing off the majority of bad stuff in the gas. When I feel like the majority of points are eaten up, I ramp up the pressure for carbonation and over-shoot a bit just for the ability to release any extra later. I'd rather be a bit over than under.

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of a pressure ferment to mimic the hydrostatic pressure found in large-scale breweries? And therefore fermenting wine under pressure (5ish psi) would be similar to the hydro static pressure in the fermenting vessels of large wineries?

I've also been planning on using the pressure fermentation technique on some cider and/or graff this fall. Maybe I should try both a pressure ferment and a regular ferment...for science!
I would say yes, with the exception that wine is different than beer and this might actually lead to a home winemaker being able to out surpass a big boy due to equipment. I know initially they want gas out of wine, but in the end it is OK for carbonation.

That was why I was commenting about champagne. If I were to do a sparkling wine/cider I would let it ride as normal (under this technique I would consider 1-5 psi OK during primary), and then after primary was finished I would let it gas out to 0. After time to settle for clarity, I would transfer to another keg and prime. At that point I would treat it like the tail end of a primary beer fermentation where I wanted carbonation and let it ramp to wanted pressure, cold crash, let time take it's course and settle, then transfer to my serving containers/keg/whatever. That's just me though, which has no experience with wine/cider what-so-ever.

Try an experiment and let us all know how it works for you. I am very interested, as the swmbo is into dry champagne and I like sparkling wines/ciders.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #983
joeybeer
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121

Whoa Whoa Whoa! Are you saying what I think your saying. You were able to put the pinlock post directly onto the beer out sanke threading?

Or do you mean that you have the 1/4 MFL connection that allows you to switch out between corny and sankey?
Directly on !! (no mfl). I was just as shocked as you !! Try it out !

Kegged :
15 gallons of Yellow Bucket Light
~1 gallon of Little Miss Muffet Cider

Fermenter :
12 gallons of Under Pressure Brown Ale
5 gallons of Dead Guyish IPA for a competition

Old 10-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #984
WortMonger

Recipes 

Can you get a picture of that to post here for people to visually see that? That is amazing.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #985
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nevermind, I'm silly.

Last edited by Burgs; 10-03-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: My whole objective could be accomplished with an airlock. Oops.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #986
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I figured I'd throw a post up about how this idea has evolved for me. I no longer try to naturally carb, but let the yeast do their thing at about 5 psi. I let my beer sit in the sanke fermenter about two weeks, then crash cool and force carb at the same time with a spare CO2 tank. Then I counterpressure transfer and usually dry hop in a bag in the serving kegs.

Although I'm not using natural carbonation, this method is quicker than crashing cooling first and then force carbing. I love being able to take samples from my sanke fermenter with a picnic tap and pushing things around with gas rather than siphoning.

I also eventually went to a brewershardware.com kit. I just never got the hang of sanke rings. I went to snap rings for a while, but they are too thick, way too challenging to grind down thinner, and tended to pop off and release my co2 at pressures over 10psi.

Anyway, there certainly is a lot here to take in and very useful, even if, in the end, you don't ferment under pressure and naturally carb.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #987
WortMonger

Recipes 

Yep, just another tool in the box if you need it. My favorite part is the natural carbonation. Everything else is just secondary for me.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #988
joeybeer
Recipes 

So here are the photos !

Basically, I'd never tried a pressure transfer before and was thinking about how to start. ( nearest LHBS 100 miles )

I also needed to clean my taps, and when I saw my liquid line attached to my shank,

image-1515450838.jpg

I thought it might fit on the sanke coupler.. And dammit it DID !!

So there is a pre made line in your kegerator, you just have to disconnect it !!

image-3837754811.jpg

Just to be clear, the line removed from the fridge screws right on to the center liquid out on the sanke coupler, and the pin lock end goes to the liquid out on the corney for filling !!

Kegged :

Fermenter :

Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #989
joeybeer
Recipes 

And for my next trick

Has anyone added gelatin to a corney before pressure transfer ??

Kegged :

Fermenter :

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #990
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeer View Post
So here are the photos !

Basically, I'd never tried a pressure transfer before and was thinking about how to start. ( nearest LHBS 100 miles )

I also needed to clean my taps, and when I saw my liquid line attached to my shank,

Attachment 35232

I thought it might fit on the sanke coupler.. And dammit it DID !!

So there is a pre made line in your kegerator, you just have to disconnect it !!

Attachment 35233

Just to be clear, the line removed from the fridge screws right on to the center liquid out on the sanke coupler, and the pin lock end goes to the liquid out on the corney for filling !!

Yes and the ones that go on Sankes (with MFL) also fit on the taps. I put them on for quick line length changes (since I always want light to dark on the taps in succession, which doesn't always mean carb level).

Quick Reply