Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 81 11.27%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.78%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.56%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 535 74.41%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 79 10.99%
Voters: 719. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #971
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeer View Post
Thanks for this idea Wortmonger !!
My first trial run is finished and delicious ! (10g Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale)
I don't have a spunding valve yet so I had to keep an eye on the gauge, and bleed air off occasionally to keep the pressure where I wanted it ! Anyway it's great and 14 days grain to glass, already carbonated and chilled from the crash cooling !

Thanks again !
I am so glad it worked so well for you. 14 days grain to glass kicks ass!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #972
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
No problem and glad you like the thread so much. Keep the ideas coming and support the thread by telling us about your ventures right here!
Great! Will do.

Now to find a ~7gal keg narrower than 14" and shorter than 24". Only thing I've found so far is this.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #973
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about a narrow sankee quarter keg?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:14 AM   #974
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
Too tall

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #975
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick correction. The pilsner I just pressure fermented was brewed on 8/22 and poured on 9/28 so about one month total.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #976
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Quick correction. The pilsner I just pressure fermented was brewed on 8/22 and poured on 9/28 so about one month total.
Nice! That reinforces one of a long list of positives of pressurized fermenting, quick grain to glass. 4 weeks and a pilsner is good to drink? Wow. I am officially sold with all this info, and my own experience with an IPA (tapped in 3 1/2 weeks and delicious) and this will be the only way that I ferment my beer from here on out.

Quick question: Anyone think that fermenting cider under pressure would be beneficial?

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #977
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Great! Will do.

Now to find a ~7gal keg narrower than 14" and shorter than 24". Only thing I've found so far is this.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Too tall
I use 1/6 bbl (5+ gallon) like these. If you can find the skinny 1/4 bbl ones I think they are the same height as the skinny 1/6 and straight-sided 1/2 bbl at 23". The only difference is circumference and should be just a little fatter than the skinny 1/6 bbl ones. 1/6 bbl is only 9" so I would think 1/4 bbl would be something like 23" tall by 10-12" wide. I love the skinny kegs in conjunction with a 1/2 bbl fermentor for me. I usually fill three 1/6 bbl from my one 1/2 bbl and it works out great, but I understand the difficulty when only doing 5+ gallon batches. A 1/4 bbl would be perfect for making things easier in that case to end up with a full 5+ gallon keg. Check around and I bet you will find a 1/4 bbl that is the same height as you require. If 24" is your max height, you might look into these low boy tap connectors. The reviewer said, "This product saved me about 3 inches from the lid over the standard tap - 2 inches on height alone and then another inch on the tightest bend I could get in my beer lines while still dispensing."
Quote:
Well, lol, a one month pilsner isn't anything to scoff at now is it? I bet it is a lot better than a 1 month BMC product... right?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #978
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Nice! That reinforces one of a long list of positives of pressurized fermenting, quick grain to glass. 4 weeks and a pilsner is good to drink? Wow. I am officially sold with all this info, and my own experience with an IPA (tapped in 3 1/2 weeks and delicious) and this will be the only way that I ferment my beer from here on out.

Quick question: Anyone think that fermenting cider under pressure would be beneficial?
Cider and wine have been proposed, but no one has experimented and/or posted any results if they tried it. I am under the understanding after my experiments that it is better to vent the majority of the CO2 during fermentation (which, with the exception of my experiments, I believe all of us are doing in our various ways with this technique) and only use the remaining CO2 being produced for natural carbonation. This gets the bad stuff out of the produced CO2 and from my experience has no ill effect on the yeast or beer.

I don't know what bad stuff wines and ciders blow offs throw out compared to beer, but I would give it a shot under the same technique we use for beers. Might mean you have to secondary under pressure to get it off the lees, but other than that I bet it would be the same. Maybe not though, considering champagne is under as much as 35 psi with yeast before being disgorged and nobody talks about bad reactions to yeast or any off-tastes from the yeast remaining under those situations.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #979
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Yeah I might give it a try with my next batch of apfelwein, cider, or regular wine. I have a couple of those going right now so I dunno when I would get around to it. If I do it Ill be sure to post here about it.

I'm somewhat thinking it might not be such a good idea for wine since all the recipes I've read have a step for degassing in order for the wine to clear and also release any sulphur smell/taste. But apfelwein might work! Maybe I'll do a 1-2 gallon test batch in an extra corny....I'll shuffle over to the grocery store at lunch and see if apple juice is on sale.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #980
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't think wines yeasts like pressure.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Quick Reply