Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 81 11.27%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.78%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.56%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 535 74.41%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 79 10.99%
Voters: 719. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 AM   #661
cmuench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shandini View Post
Hey guys. I'm still just gathering equipment and checking back in for updates. Regarding the crap coming through the spunding valve, is there any reason you couldn't use your filter housing as a catch can? I believe home water pressure can be as high as 80 psi, so it should hold, right? I've seen opaque ones for as little as 20-some bucks, so even with a few dollars of fittings, it seems like a fairly cheap way to insure against clogging your spunding valve.
I think this is a great idea. I was thinking of ways to keep my valve from plugging with hop particulate in the krausen. This seems like it would work sweet!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #662
cmuench
Recipes 

[quote=WortMonger;2587639]

Quote:
I had the very same idea, and yes I think it would work great... if you can attach a piece of tubing to get from the normally out port to the bottom of the housing, and run the housing in reverse so that the normally in port has the gas coming out. That way all your liquids and bubbles are at the bottom of the housing and only clean gas is expelled from the housing and spunding valve. The housing will handle the pressures you would be using for this project no problem.
Wort

I don't get why you'd want to run it in reverse?? Why not just run it like you were filtering from your fermenter to serving vessel? The only difference is instead of clear beer coming out you've got clear CO2 and an S valve that doesn't plug...

Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #663
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Because if you were to run it without a filter cartridge in it (which why would you want to), the two holes inside the housing are so close together that some of the foam would go out of the center (out port) before it would fall to the bottom of the filter housing. By running it backwards, with a hose to take it to the bottom first, the foam would have to rise to the gas exit (normally liquid in port). I would want some anti-foam in the housing as well to mix with the foamy krausen to really keep it tamed down.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #664
WortMonger

Recipes 

Ok, finished up brewing a beer named Mooney last night. 14# Munich, 2# Pale Ale, 2# Wheat, 2# pre-cooked rice, 1# Crystal 40*L, and .25 Chocolate 400*L. 4 oz Spalt @ 60 min, 1 oz Liberty @ Flame-out. Mashed for 2 hours @ 154 dropping to 148 at lauter.

Went very well, and transferred into a previously used fermentor keg on top of US-05. I am not showing a pressure level on my gauge as of 5:00pm today, but there is pressure in the keg. I bet I show something tomorrow on the gauge. I guess we will see where I go from here. I'll keep you guys posted on my latest P-ferment.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #665
Photopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
I'll keep you guys posted on my latest P-ferment.
Thanks a lot Wortmonger. I appreciate the updates and clarifications, your recent additions to this thread has given me confidence to try a pressurized ferment for my next brew.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #666
WortMonger

Recipes 

Good, glad I could help you out. There is a lot of information in the thread, it is just hard to get to with all the posts.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #667
WortMonger

Recipes 

We have readable pressure... 2 psi! LOL, well it is at 60.8*F after all. I have been un-tapping and turning on its side to roll it so the yeast stays suspended more than it would if left still. I will really see just how clean this yeast can be on this one. Oh well, when you are left with relying on your HVAC to control your temperature I guess this is as good as is expected. Bet it turns out great!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #668
WortMonger

Recipes 

Up to 8 psi right now! She's cookin' right along. Still shaking and rolling everyday just to get as much attenuation as possible. Does anyone else have a beer update for their P-ferments?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #669
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts

Have you done any tests to see if the shaking and rolling actually increases attenuation?

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 02-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #670
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Finished up another dark crystal IPA on PAC Man that is fantastic. I'm about to prep up a batch of swmbo slayer pale then once that's done, I'm going start on a spring lager since I'll have about 15 gal of beer on draft.

I did end up dumping my backyard hop ale. My backyard hops were a whole lot hoppier than planned and it was totally undrinkable. Part of it may also have had to do with my reuse of my yeast.

Anyway, pressure ferm to filter direct to keg is the tops! I love the fact that the beer doesn't touch the air until it's in my glass and that I can pour a full pint the moment it's in the keg and enjoy my labor.

Quick Reply