Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 82 11.25%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.74%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.55%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 544 74.62%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 79 10.84%
Voters: 729. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #631
cmuench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

No just barley and 3 pounds of honey.

SG yesterday was 1.022.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #632
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Can any one point me to the page showing a good schedule for the pressure amounts during fermentation. I know it is mixed within the 64 pages here but can't find it.

I have a beer on day 3-4 and I had it at like 1 PSI for the first day and it is at about 3 now.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #633
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
I'm testing the pressurized fermentation concept as we speak.

I'm using the sanke fermentation kit along with a 0.5 - 30 psi back-pressure regulator and gauge for a 5 gallon batch of scottish ale fermented in a "slim" quarter barrel (7.75 gallon) at 66F.

I pitched the yeast Sunday night and set the back-pressure regulator at its lowest setting (0.5 psi). I checked it at 7pm on Monday and the pressure was holding firm at 0.5 psi (with a audible hissing sound coming from the regulator). I raised it to 1 psi this morning (Tuesday) and I plan to raise it to 2 psi this evening.

The plan is to increase the pressure by 2 psi every 24 hours. So, it should look something like:
  1. 0.5 psi
  2. 1 - 2 psi
  3. 3 - 4 psi
  4. 5 - 6 psi
  5. 7 - 8 psi
  6. 8 - 9 psi
  7. 10 psi

I'll be taking gravity samples along the way. If I get close to terminal gravity before I hit 10 psi, I'll accelerate the pressure schedule.

Wortmonger, any suggestions? In the meantime, I'll try to get some pictures posted.
Here it is

Old 01-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #634
Photopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I am brewing this weekend and have the makings of the spunding valve. I want to use the closed pressurized fermenting here. Being that this original thread is over 3 years old and 60 pages long, I was hoping someone that uses this system could give me a 2011 synopsis on how this has evolved.

Techniques
Pressure settings
Timing
Equipment

Do I need two separate sanke stems and two separate taps to make this work?

I currently have one tap that has been altered to accept standard screw on fittings so it is compatible with the rest of my keg setups. I hope this will work as I may not have the other fittings available.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #635
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think you guys should definitely get something in the wiki about this.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #636
Photopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
I think you guys should definitely get something in the wiki about this.
There is a wiki on this.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...d_fermentation

It is mostly taken from the original posting. So both the information in here and there are 3+ years old. I am sure what worked way back then still works now in the 2010s. I am thinking that somewhere in the 60 pages of posts on this subject there has been some evolution to the process. I am hoping for some updated information.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #637
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts

Ya I meant update the wiki, sorry.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 01-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #638
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photopilot View Post
There is a wiki on this.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...d_fermentation

It is mostly taken from the original posting. So both the information in here and there are 3+ years old. I am sure what worked way back then still works now in the 2010s. I am thinking that somewhere in the 60 pages of posts on this subject there has been some evolution to the process. I am hoping for some updated information.
That, and some other items like the graphs regarding pressure and off flavors, etc, and some of that discussion. If I ever had enough time I'd go through this whole thread and do it, but yea I don't have time and I figure that most people also don't.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #639
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

Well, I updated the wiki article for you guys, but there really isn't that much more specific information. This is a technique that has many ways of doing it. That is what this thread is for... showing all the different approaches and wins and losses. I recommend reading the whole thing and take notes to summarize points of interest. Then follow the thread while brewing with the technique and add to it. There really is a lot of info, but I do know it is all spread out. The wiki article is now based around my simplest try at this technique. Hope it helps you out and explains why it isn't very specific. I want this thread, or another, to be specific about technique where there is room for conversation. I think of it as, "Why do we need this forum with all its different threads? Can't we just sum it all up in a book of what to do?" No! We can't because there are a million ways to do everything on this hobby... and the same is true for this technique. Simple to very complex. I started more complex due to my research, and have now come back to wanting simple . Damn, I do like reading some of the more complex procedures some of us are doing here though.

As for off flavors and graphs... I have no off flavors using this technique. Not even by closing it all up to primary carbonation, which is supposed to not be good. Now, that may change with a really sulfury lager or something, but that's what I will either read about here or type about here myself one day.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 01-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #640
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm still very new to this technique and mine is more of a fermenting in a sanke way of doing things and then transferring using gas than anything else. I don't have the ability to crash cool right now. Hence the difference.

What I do is clean and sanitize my keg (pretty much like wortmonger, spray thoroughly and dump a few times. Fill with warm water and oxyclean free. Let than sit and than push it out thru the beer out of the keg with co2. I then fill with starsan and water at proper dilution. I then pump out thru the beer out tube on keg coupler, sanitizing it. I have a quick connect on the beer out tube so I can hook it to my inline O2 to fill with cooled, oxygenated wort when I'm ready and the lines have been sanitized.

Once my boil is done, I pump the hot wort thru my CFC to my inline oxygenation tube and then into the fermenting keg thru the beer out line of the coupler (just remove the little backflow ball first!! I learned that the hard way, lol!). ***a quick aside here. I don't think the inline O2 is especially advantageous, but recirculating to my boil kettle wasn't working well for me. Though my wort exits CFC at 65 or lower, I found the keggle was still so hot that cooling took way too long IMO. Maybe I could try wetting the outside of the keggle. Anyway, it's much cheaper to just oxygenate in the BK after recirculating than using the inline O2. Just my opinion.****

Once my wort is cooled, oxygenated and transferred to fermenting keg I generally remove the coupler and the spear and pitch my starter or re hydrated yeast. I spray the coupler and spear with starsan one more time, then replace the assembly and add my spunding valve. I set the spunding valve to about 3 psi and leave it. Once the yeast takes off you can smell beer. I leave it at about 5 psi for a few days, then turn it up to about 7-10 for the rest of fermentation.

I forgot to mention, I quick connect a cobra tap to the beer out line on the spunding valve once I have everything transferred. This way I can easily take samples for hydrometer readings.

Fermentation is usually complete in less than a week, but I'll let it sit at 7psi or so for 2-3 weeks so the yeast can flocculate out. I trimmed my dip tube about 3/4" and I still get a pint or two of slurry and cold break when I pull samples, but after that it's pretty clear. I'd recommend trimming the dip tube as yeast can clog up the the dip tube, IMO.

I don't generally counter transfer these days, as I'm still acquiring the proper parts. I usually just clean and sanitize the serving keg and transfer at around 5 psi thru the beer out port on the corny. Sometimes I take the lid off to check how full it is. Other times I seal it up and put a gas valve on the gas port to relieve pressure. I fill my kegs, re sanitize the lid and then put it on gas in my kegerator for force carbing.

So far, so good! 30 gallons of tasty beer so far.

For dry hopping I have gone to using tea balls filled with pellet hops in my serving keg. I just drop them in, no weights and so far the results are fine, although I have little for comparison at this point as I'm always making new beers.

I love fermenting in the sanke. Mine is not really closed system yet, but as I get everything together I will head in that direction.

Here's my valve
I have a quick connect for the co2 tank on the right so I can push beer, cleaner, sanitizer, etc. as needed. I'm not lifting a full sanke.

Here's the rest of my system.

Thanks again for all the interesting reading as I move towards fully closed pressurized fermentation. Been combing Craigslist for nice refrigerator or chest freezer.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Quick Reply