*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 82 11.31%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.76%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.55%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 540 74.48%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 79 10.90%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 02:45 AM   #601
cmuench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Wort

Let us know how it goes. I need some advice on how to make it work for the next time I do it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #602
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Will do, I am filtering once I come home with my pork shoulder and my snazzy haircut, lol. Who knows, it my be so much fun I do both beers just for schnitz und giggles. I really hope the brown is amazing. Last night the pilsner had a slightly sweet flavor to it, but that might just have been the yeast in conjunction with the sweeter smell. I didn't hop it very much so the BMC crowd could stomach it, so it isn't very bitter anyways. I had three glasses and it didn't even phase me, so definitely a session beer. This happened with the last one too. It really crisped up once it got crystal clear.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #603
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the follow up. It's just under two weeks on the backyard ale on pacman. OG was about 1.05ish with a target FG near 1.01. Took sample today and it's at 1.028. I let this one ramp up to 15psi and i'm wondering if I should be closer to my FG by now or if I'm just impatient . I wil filter through a 1 micron filter after a full we of cold crash. Only time will tell if the SWMABO will give a thumbs up or thumbs down on it.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #604
WortMonger

Recipes 

Hey flan, did you de-gas the hydro sample? I am usually high on my readings until the next day, unless I use my refractometer. I would rouse that fermenter a little and get it down a little more. From your numbers, you are looking to get 79% attenuation (which is awesome) but at 1.028 you only have 43-ish% right now. I figured Pac-Man for gobbling up more than that by now. You mentioned you were at 62*F, maybe that is why you are going slower than you would think? I just want this technique to work for everyone that tries it, so I am interested how yours turns out.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #605
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I left the sample out to degass. 62 deg is where rogue recommends fermenting on pacman. I backed the psi down to 12psi and I'll see what the reading is. It's still less than 14 days from pitching. I'm going to agitate the keg as well.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #606
WortMonger

Recipes 

Hmmm, well that is still too low for PM for attenuation. I hope it finishes more and is perfect.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #607
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This Batch is officially the fourth 10 gallon batch I've done. I let the sample go flat naturally and it's at about 1.026. I shook the keg to agitate the cake at the bottom and lowered the pressure down to 12. Lat night I set my valve higher and this morning it's back up to about 14.5 psi, so I think I'll be fine. I usually mash in the 154-156 range for a more malty beer, however this one I was dead on at 150 deg. I'm going to forget about it for a week and check it next. Fortunately I have a Marris Otter/Simpsons dark crystal IPA on tap and my black ale/ black lager to start tasting.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #608
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick update on my Schwarzbier Lager/Ale project. I tasted the Lager and the Ale this morning and I'm in heaven, and buzzed! The Lager went through a 1 micon filter then into the kegerator for about 3 weeks before tasting. The Ale was done the old fashion way and was put into the can around the same time, but not filtered. It was force carb'd. The Ale still has a bit of that fresh yeast flavor and the roasted notes are more predominate and linger longer. The Lager is just pure heaven. Smooth finish, all the flavor elements are there but don't linger.

I'm going to give these two another 3-4 weeks before they go into tap rotation, but to quote my younger brother...." I really impressed myself"

Old 12-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #609
WortMonger

Recipes 

Well, the filter is working great. It took a slightly sweet beer that was really cloudy and turned it into a less sweet, and less carbonated pilsner. I have the filter hooked up inline to the tap and I think this is the reason I am losing my carbonation. The first day I had it hooked up the beer was crystal clear and very foamy. I have since turned the filter upside-down and now am getting better pours, but the beer seems to have a chill haze. I did have ice in my filter due to turning the kegerator down a little too much, so I hope I didn't damage my filter with freezing. All in all, I am impressed with the setup but curious. If I were to use the filter during counter-pressure transfer, would I have the same problems with loosing carbonation? Or... would the beer keep its carbonation since it would not be going straight to an atmospheric condition like it is in my glass? Makes me wonder. I am going to hook it up on transfer with my brown ale and serve straight from the keg on that one. What I am seeing flavor-wise on the lager is completely acceptable, so I don't see the .45 micron being to damaging to flavor in the brown ale.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #610
WortMonger

Recipes 

Today I went for a pour after work and it was foamy, like the first pour always is after sitting that long, but the next pour was perfect. Carbonation is back to full strength prior to using the filter and beer is clear again with no haze. Weird stuff. The filter definitely works better upside-down when used pre-tap. It is weird to watch it work though. There is an air gap at the top of the filter (purged with CO2 so I'm not worried about oxidation going into the glass) and the beer gets sucked down as I pour. The beer foams when the filter gets emptied at the tale end, and then the filter fills with non foamy beer again until the gap pressure is reached. I am thinking these filters would work better if they could fill from the bottom up. I might look into adding my own pressure relief to the bottom of the filter. This would allow both in and out to be at the bottom and to purge prior to turning upside-down. It may still make the air gap though, I don't know??? Anyways, beer is good and I will be filling a pig to take to my Christmas party for everyone to try. Still can't wait to try my brown....

Quick Reply