Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 83 11.16%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 21 2.82%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.54%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 556 74.73%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 80 10.75%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #551
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't think they would rise too much. You should be fine using it as a fermentor, I was just saying I like to use mine as a serving keg and the older, dented up, kegs as my fermentors. Heck, I may just change my mind if this in-house RT ferment has what I require it to have. The SS kegs have so many nooks and crannies, that it makes them really hard to clean when yeast comes out of my fermentation hardware. I might just have to swap my fermentor to the black one after all.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 03:23 AM   #552
WortMonger

Recipes 

Ok, I think the beer is ready to be cooled off in the garage prior to transfer right before I head off for Thanksgiving. Guess I'm filling a Party Pig so the whole family can grab a taste. I am so pumped!!! I let some gas out and smelled again, yummmmmy.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #553
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update- I split a 10 gallon American Black Lager recipe based off a schwarzbier recipe and did 5 gallons on the Pacman yeast and the other 5 under pressure with wyeast bavarian lager. Both are now at 33 degrees in the ferm cabinet. Lager is at 14lb psi and ale is still. I'll krausen the ale and naturally carb in keg, however the lager is sitting pretty under pressure. Question for you WortMonger, how long do you lager under pressure usually?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #554
WortMonger

Recipes 

I lager the same as if it weren't under pressure. I try to give at least a full week of lagering for every 10 points of original gravity. Krausening an ale sounds great! Recipe sounds great to do this experiment with. I know the P-ferment will come out fine, but I think I am more excited hearing about the ale version. I have to get my hands on some PacMan. The US-05 I used is supposed to be close, and man the beer smells great after a vigorous fermentation. I just went to roll it out to the garage and there was a little more pressure built up. So, I guess I have to leave the SV on a little longer to release that. I will be grabbing a Pig of it to take for Thanksgiving dinner though, . Keep us updated on your brews. I hope you do get a chance to try them side by side when they are both ready for drinking.

I'm debating using gelatin for the first time, but I don't want to add it and loose my pressure. Maybe I can figure out a way to get it in there while sealed, and then purge and pressure up for the transfer.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #555
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Another way to pitch yeast???

Guys, I'm looking for a new way to pitch yeast to my sanke for fermenting under pressure. For my first batch I ran the hot wort thru my CFC where I hit it with some inline O2. Once it was all transferred I took the spund valve and spear off and pitched my yeast, then reassembled.

Today I am trying recirculating to my BK until it reaches 70F, then pitching into BK, then pumpinf to Sanke.

Neither method is great for me. My CFC has hot wort coming out at 63 degrees. Takes about 20 minutes for a 10 gallon batch. But then I have to remove the spear, etc. Recirculating is taking a really long time. It's not there yet and it's been 40 minutes.

Does anyone have a third option? Can you pitch the yeast into the sanke first, then transfer wort over? I do usually have the spear out when I dump the last bit of starsan out of it. If not, I think I'm going back to removing the spear after CFC transfer. too much wasted water and time for me. Problem is my BK holds too much heat.

Thanks for the ideas.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:02 AM   #556
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Yeah, pitching into BK didn't work out well for me. It was a long and frustrating brew day for me. Murphy's law in full effect. LOL. My OG is off by a full point, but oh well.

My question is about pitching into the BK. I didn't rehydrate the yeast first. Last time I used dry it was Nottingham and that package came with rehydration instructions. the Safale US-05 said to just sprinkle into wort. So I sprinkled into the BK and watched it clump up everywhere.

Basically, I'm wondering if the yeast even made it over to the fermenter when I pumped it out. I had a ton of cold break and use a bazooka style tube to keep my BK valve from clogging.

Cheers.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 11-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #557
ikonis
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Finally finished up my spunding valve with all it's bells and whistles

Already did one brew using it... in the serving keg in 8 days.... tastes great.

Anyways.. here's the shot of it

and

The quick disconnect is so I can throw on either the 0-30psi valve or the 0-60psi valve. The check valve is so I can use it for other things such as force carbing or pushing liquid into kegs from either my brewstand or another keg.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #558
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Yeah, pitching into BK didn't work out well for me. It was a long and frustrating brew day for me. Murphy's law in full effect. LOL. My OG is off by a full point, but oh well.

My question is about pitching into the BK. I didn't rehydrate the yeast first. Last time I used dry it was Nottingham and that package came with rehydration instructions. the Safale US-05 said to just sprinkle into wort. So I sprinkled into the BK and watched it clump up everywhere.

Basically, I'm wondering if the yeast even made it over to the fermenter when I pumped it out. I had a ton of cold break and use a bazooka style tube to keep my BK valve from clogging.

Cheers.
Fermentation seems normal.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 11-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #559
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 11

There's a LOT of yeast cells in the dry packets. I never really rehydrate it and it's not been a problem. If you whirlpool the yeast in and let your cold break settle, you should be good to transfer. A bazooka shouldn't stop the yeast as long as it's properly dissolved.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #560
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4646 Times on 4548 Posts
Likes Given: 2266

Question for you pressure fermenter-heads: Does fermenting under pressure prevent blow-outs? I have a gaggle of kegs and have been using blow-off tubes fermenting and have not had more than a mild blow-off issue with 13.5 gal batches. Does the pressure prevent the build-up of the krausen?

Quick Reply